UKC

Inov8 advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Abbott 21 Dec 2012
Anyone out there used the Inov8 Mudclaw 300 Fell shoe?

I want a more responsive feel underfoot and have been told they are the muts-nuts.

I am 6ft and 79kg so was thinking maybe a bit to heavy for them, I dont seem to get on with Salomon due to having a really high arch, which tends to lead to achilles/shin injuries.

Have a lovely Xmas everyone.

In reply to Ben Abbott: I really like the older Mudclaw 333 model for deep mud & snow, but really it comes down to individual foot shape and running gait. I'd get along to your local running shop and try them on to see how they feel.
 Simon Caldwell 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:
They're great if they suit your feet.
They suit mine, and I'm on something like my 6th pair (they don't last very long if used regularly).
A friend tried a pair and gave in after one outing when they tore his feet to pieces.
In reply to Ben Abbott:

I've got the Mudclaw 330, which I think is the older version. I'm heavier than you and they're great. Some people can't get on with the fitting at the back of the heel, which is where I eventually wear through the lining. Awesome grip in mud, a bit skittish on wet grit. There's a surprising amount of bounce in them for the odd patch of road.
 Wonrek 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott: I had the 333's but couldn't get on with them as they weren't supportive enough and running in them aggravated my IT band issues.

I'm now running in deep mud and clag in Salomon Speedcross 3's and would suggest that these are worth a good look too.
 Run_Ross_Run 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:

I'm an Inov8 fan. Had 5 pairs so far and in the past used the more cushioned (4) arrow soles.

Got a pair of 300's for a marathon last month. Wore them in on 2x3km short runs then straight into the marathon. No rubbin/blisters so was well impressed.

Keep an mind on the fact that the transition is lower (2 arrows) and is closer to barefoot running than what you might have been using. So you may feel pain while ur getting used to them.

For me though it is the confidence they give to just lauch onto the terrain. Ace for frozen mud/turf/snow and even a small bit of tarmac.
OP Ben Abbott 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador: I have a long narrow foot, with a really high arch, are you similar?
In reply to Darren09:

Thanks mate, this was my main concern that they are akin to bare foot running as best they can be or so I believe. I have been out of the game for several years due to shin achilles injuries, and really don't want to go back there.

In reply to Turdus torquatus:

Thanks mate, I am getting some great feedback from you guys.
 Simon Caldwell 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:
mine are quite broad.
I think that for most who have problems with Inov8s it's due to the heel.
 abh 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:

Hi, I am 6'1" and 90 ish KG (maybe more). I have a pair of Rockclaw's I think. It's a 0.5km dash along a path, then onto fields and woods. Never had a problem with shins etc. ( used to have shin splints from road running years ago).

The heel cushioning fella part quite quickly, but has never caused any problems with blisters.

Cheers
In reply to Wonrek: What sort of mileage were you doing in your mud claws ? or was it just races etc?
 patrick_b 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:

I've got some 333s and I love them. You can power down steep grass without a care in the world. Really responsive as long as you aren't planning on running on hard surfaces, roads or too much bare rock.

A word of warning though, I recently bought a new pair and didn't wear them in before a mountain marathon. By the end of the weekend my heels were torn to absolute shreds. It was hideous. They've worn in fine though.
smc118 21 Dec 2012
If you want more feel for a fell shoe why don't you try the inov8 bare-grip. http://www.inov-8.com/new/global/Product-View-BareGrip-200.html?L=26

I doubt you'll get much more feeling than them in a fell shoe.

I have a pair - amazing grip, incredibly light and not suprisingly protective despite being minimalist shoes.

S
 steelbru 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:
A few replies above regarding shredding skin on heels.
It's a known issue on Inov-8's, best solution is to soften the heel counter by holding in steam ( from a kettle say ) for a few minutes, then put them on was soon as cool enough and go a run, the heel counter will mould to your foot's shape.
In reply to steelbru:

Nice one,
 Banned User 77 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott: I'm about the same hieght and weight and wear them.. just did the paddy buckley in them.. no blister.. I love them. Much wider than the usual inov8 lasts..
In reply to steelbru: I think the heal issue has been dealt with.. not head many mention it for a long time..
In reply to smc118: They barely last if they see rock.. 100 miles? 200 max.. 300's will do a good 500..
In reply to IainRUK:

Hey impressive running... nice one . Well 100k and 47 peaks has got to speak volumes for a shoe.
Thanks for the info, and hope you've recovered ok.
 Tim Sparrow 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott: Always liked mudclaws, used most varieties over the years. Really liked the 300s, slightly larger / wider than the others maybe. However, found that the sides are a bit more rigid and they abraded under my ankle bones when doing lots of contouring (i.e Howgills OMM!) And that was after just one day as day 2 was missed due to a, erm, fuel misplacement scenario!
For most hill running situations, excellent!
The bright yellow wears off pretty quick, so don't let that put you off!
In reply to Tim Sparrow:
> However, found that the sides are a bit more rigid and they abraded under my ankle bones when doing lots of contouring (i.e Howgills OMM!)

I find that. but I have quite prominent ankle bones.. so that's pretty common for me, I had some sportivas which were far worse for that so these aren't too bad compared to most.

Wonrek 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott: I was doing distances in them, short runs 10-12 long runs up to 30. It got so painful I was verging on giving up runing. If it wasn't for the it issues I thought they were a good shoe, really liked wearing them.

Hated the it they caused though, it was gone within three runs in Salomons. Do you have any pronation yourself that you know of?
In reply to Wonrek:
No pronation problems completely neutral, but with an aggressive push off from my toes.
In reply to Ben Abbott:

Thank you all for your valued input. The real time feedback from proper runners has so much more clout than..... well we'll leave it at that shall we.

I am going to give the Inov8 a go, so watch this space.

Merry Xmas, and a fantastic lung bursting, quad screaming New Year to all
 wilkesley 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:
I am not a runner. However, I use my Inov8 Roclite 295's for all my backpacking and scrambling trips. I just wonder how they compare in terms of grip and durability with the 333's. My 295's tend to wear out when the top disintegrates at the point where it bends when you walk. This happens well before the sole is worn out and can be fixed for a while with tape.

BTW GoOutdoors have 333's at £29.97 in a limited number of stores: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mudclaw-333-p164025
Sariel 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben Abbott:
That's a shame re Salomons....
I'm 5.11 82kg and the Speedcross 3 are the best fell shoes I've ever had. I needed to go up a half size though.
 Banned User 77 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Sariel:
> (In reply to Ben Abbott)
> That's a shame re Salomons....
> I'm 5.11 82kg and the Speedcross 3 are the best fell shoes I've ever had. I needed to go up a half size though.

Same here re the half size..

Speedcrosses are great in that they can cope with anything, road, trail, fell.. for pure all out fell I think they come out a tad short, but a great training shoe..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...