UKC

need a teacher

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
david matthews 23 Dec 2012
I want to learn to lead, can anyone help. I live in south london and have a car, so can pick up and drop off, to and from climbing sites.
 henwardian 23 Dec 2012
In reply to david matthews: Heh, I think you need to sweeten the offer. I'd try adding "I'll buy the beers" or "My 20 yr old model daughter will be coming too"
 ollieollie 24 Dec 2012
In reply to henwardian:
> (In reply to david matthews) Heh, I think you need to sweeten the offer. I'd try adding "I'll buy the beers" or "My 20 yr old model daughter will be coming too"

or tell us his old man was bernard and can have unlimited turkey drumsticks

Kevster 24 Dec 2012
In reply to david matthews:

Other posts weren't too helpful! But filling in a profile will help others decide if they can take you out. A beginner can be a liability dependant on their skills/aptitude.

Keep at it, and you'll find someone, could try being more discrete too, some people don't want a burden of a second - if I'm taking someone to swanage with a commiting abseil and loose rock at the top, I need to know they won't kill me with rocks and can climb out, as a second. I've hauled people out of swanage and it wasn't fun (they were injured).

You need to build relationships with your partner. Try also going sport climbing, partner up at your local wall etc. Basically network. Its a 2 way thing. As a leader, I don't need hassle or danger or someone who will drive me to suicide, a little previous knowledge carries a long way.

There are a few clubs around your area, could try these as a way of getting together with others. Clubs are often quite accomodating to beginners.

One final point, its winter. Trad can be cold and hard work in winter. You'll get more interest as it warms/clears up.

K
 Up High 24 Dec 2012
In reply to david matthews: Try the AMI site someone there will help you.
 Phil1919 24 Dec 2012
In reply to david matthews: Move to Llanberis for a years sabattical.
 jimhall 24 Dec 2012
In reply to david matthews: Give my mate Paddy a shout. He lives in London and is missing being able to get out climbing through lack of a partner. He loves teaching people. I'v attached a link to his profile if you want to message him.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=95505

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...