UKC

Christmas Eve and retailers are moaning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 24 Dec 2012
We haven't even got Christmas out of the way and retailers are on the newd moaning about the rent having to be paid by the 25th.

Just remember, if any more shops go out of business then it is your fault for not spending enough.

I'm betting that when the tills are totaled up in the new year, many retailers will record record proffits.
In reply to The Lemming: I didn't know that sales of vinyl were that great...

T.
 partz 24 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Ill bet you're wrong...the shop I work in is down 2 grand just from last week. We used to have people absolutely rammed in the shop and you couldnt move through it, but this year has had 10 people maximum at any time.
Pretty dire tbh. Im not expecting to be employed in a few months but its fine because Ill have graduated :P
Graeme G 24 Dec 2012
In reply to partz:

> Pretty dire tbh. Im not expecting to be employed in a few months but its fine because Ill have graduated :P

And how will that make a difference to your employment status?
 EeeByGum 24 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I am a complete advocate for the high street, but have decided that on balance, its offering is so poor that I did all my shopping online for the first time this Xmas. What an amazing experience. Did the lot inside 10 minutes.

I did head to the high street to get some mittens for my mum though. I failed. Things are pretty bad when you can't even buy ladies mittens!
Clauso 24 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

I predict that the continued rise in online retail will push more and more high street retailers to the wall and that the premises, previously occupied by them in city centres around the country, will be given over to green space, affordable housing and areas devoted to public works of art... Either that or yet more off licenses, pound shops, bookies and lap dancing clubs.

Wonko The Sane 24 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I haven't even spent a tenth of what I normally spend at Christmas this year. Feeling decidedly Grinch like when it comes to spending on Christmas.
In reply to The Lemming: I'll bet everyone that isn't an online retailer will be down this year, i've never seen the shops so empty in our area at Christmas.
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
Either that or yet more off licenses, pound shops, bookies and lap dancing clubs.

It will be more charity shops Darren, the whole nation will become a seething mass of charity shops.
 KellyKettle 24 Dec 2012
In reply to jonathan shepherd: So what will.happen when we pass the charity shop event horizon?
In reply to jonathan shepherd:
> (In reply to The Lemming) I'll bet everyone that isn't an online retailer will be down this year, i've never seen the shops so empty in our area at Christmas.

Most of my Christmas presents are ususually bought online in early December. I usually do one shop at a large mall for 'inspiration' when looking for the final little gifts and that's it. Been that way for about 4 years. It removes all the hassle.
I won't really miss shopping in shops.
I think largee retailers will struggle on for a few decades yet though getting smaller and more concentrated as time goes on. Hopefully, small high street shops will convert to less mass produced items.

Now, praise Ford and pass the Soma.
 wilkie14c 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: Mall? where are you, springfield?
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane) Mall? where are you, springfield?

Hmmmmmm, floor turkey. Schlurp.

What DO we call them in the UK??? Shopping centre suggests those little things you find in town centres.
 wilkie14c 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: they usually have a poncy name to sound inspiring and make you want to go there like the Trafford Centre, Meadowhall, Arndale or in our case <Blackpool> The hounds hill centre which is rubbish but better than it used to be. I'm an Argo voucher man myself, I'd make a crap santa
 Blue Straggler 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

I think we fall between "shopping centre" and calling them by their specific name as blanchie says. I agree that "shopping centre" sounds like a town centre one, and that we haven't fully incorporated "mall" into the British lexicon. A Retail Park means you have to step outside to go from one shop to another. A Retail Outlet seems to mean essentially a mall where each store is selling remainders or seconds.

I am "looking forward" to going to the largest shopping mall in the USA, in King of Prussia :-$ (business trip to a client based nearby; I gather there is not much to do around there but go to the mall, including for your meals etc!)
 Dauphin 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Bit like Blue Water then? Was in Westfield in Shepherds Bush on friday - the place was empty.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...