UKC

February Half Term

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 24 Dec 2012
Thinking about Morocco for the half term holidays in February. Does anybody know the country well enough to give me a steer on the following questions? Is late Feb a good time to go? Best area for low to mid grade sport routes? Best area to keep non climbers interested and engaged ? Essentially I'm looking for somewhere for my son and I to climb during the day while my wife and younger son have a bit non clumbing sun and fun. Somewhere comfortable to stay with most mod cons is therefore pretty necessary. Is there anywhere in Morocco that fots the bill? any advice or local knowledge appreciated.
In reply to alastairmac:
Late February is a great time to go to Morocco. For sport the best place is Todra, but there really is nothing else there apart from climbing - just basic hotels, a road, and some cliffs (though admittedly very big, impressive cliffs).
We've often taken our kids with us to Tafraoute. The good climbing is trad (the small amount of sport is all really hard), but there's plenty of single pitch and short multi-pitch stuff, as well as a few child-friendly destinations. Unfortunately, there's not loads for non climbers to do, but much more than in Todra. Tafraoute is a nice town with an interesting little market, you can hire bikes and go exploring, the Painted Rocks are worth seeing, and you can do 2-day Sahara tours with Tafraout Aventure. Depends what your non-climbers like to do, really, and how old the kids are. If they like walking then there are some wonderful hikes ranging from a couple of hours to full-day outings.
Hotel Les Amandiers in Tafraout is a comfortable place to stay, with restaurant, bar and swimming pool (often cold though), and whilst it may not be the most 'traditional' Moroccan accommodation it is very family-friendly! You can get 25% off standard room prices if you book through http://www.climb-tafraoute.webs.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...