UKC

Mallory -one-man play

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 27 Dec 2012
I’ve been reading a lot about the earliest attempts on Everest and particularly about George Mallory. I think it would make a great one man play and I’m researching right now and looking at getting some funding to pull the thing together. I’m really excited by the prospect and I think it would generate a lot of interest.

If you don’t know about Mallory the background is briefly this: On the 8th of June 1924 George Mallory and Andrew Irvine disappeared into the mist a few thousand feet below the summit of Everest. They were never seen alive again and their disappearance has sparked one of longest running controversies in mountaineering. Were Mallory and Irvine the first to reach the summit of the world’s greatest peak? We will never know the answer and the evidence is contradictory.

So far I see the play a bit like this. Imagine if Mallory had not died on the mountain, if he had returned alone, Irvine having succumbed to altitude sickness on the descent. What would Mallory have become, what ghosts would have haunted him?

Read more here http://johndburns.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/george-mallory-one-man-play/
 Only a hill 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns:
Fascinating idea. Much has been written about Mallory, including speculation about how the world might have been changed if he had achieved the summit, but to my knowledge nothing quite like this has yet been done.

I write fiction in the same genre so I would love to see a project like this succeed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...