UKC

Sweden unclimbed peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 31 Dec 2012
Are there any up to date websites / lists that show unclimbed peaks of Sweden?
 hillman 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Anonymous: There are not any unclimbed peaks in Sweden. I would be surprised if there were any left in Europe at all. Maybe some smaller peaks in Albania or in Caucasus? Depends on your own definition of peak.

The closest unclimbed peaks would be in Greenland http://www.climbgreenland.com/index.php?id=cg_mountain_ranges and some former Sovjet union countris?
 kwoods 01 Jan 2013
In reply to hillman: I was thinking this too. But I know very little about Sweden...

It brought to mind this from Chris Dale's Telegraph obituary online:

"In 2003 he climbed what he believed to be Britain's last unclimbed mountain, a rocky pinnacle called Dun Dubh – Gaelic for black fort – on the Quiraing mountains on the Isle of Skye. Lying two miles off the tourist path, the 1,000ft face took Dale an hour to ascend. "If you slipped, you would fall to the bottom," he reported afterwards. "It's quite precipitous. The rock is absolutely atrocious."

And if there's folk that are going to go out and do that then it wouldn't be surprising that everything's in Europe's been climbed some time.
 nufkin 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Anonymous:

Since it's still The Season To Be Jolly, I'd venture that, if you feel so inclined, whatever you go up for the first time counts as a first ascent. Maybe someone else got there before you, but you can be pretty sure that they didn't do so under the exact same conditions (weather, weight, height, size of flask etc), so you can just pick whatever looks good and bask in your own, highly specific, glory at the top.
 Billhook 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Anonymous:
There are the same number of unclimbed peaks in Sweden as there are in Norfolk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...