UKC

Super-lightweight packable rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ali 01 Jan 2013
Has anyone tried any of the super lightweight rucksacks you can get which pack down into a stuffsack? Thinking the Sea to Summit Ultrasil, Lifeventure Ultralite packable daysack and similar... If so, would appreciate any thoughts on how durable/strong they are and which ones you would recommend.

I'm looking for a small daypack I can use when going to new zealand, which if necessary I can pack up and fit in my main pack. Would need to fit SLR camera, fleece/waterproof, water bladder and random bits (e.g. phone, purse etc).

Other option is to use the opportunity to upgrade my old kimm sack and just accept that I will have to carry two packs around.
 london_huddy 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali:

Alpkit gourdon? Can lend you mine if you want.
 thin bob 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali:
I used a Deuter Speedlite 15. you should just about get all your gear in it. It's light and packs flat: it fitted in the water bladder pocket of my main rucksack and also in the front pocket of Lowe Alpine pax 30.

it has proper shoulder straps, good zips, bottle pockets & bladder pocket.

I think the shoulder straps would be the main drawback of the other sacks....like everyone always says, try them on in a shop with weights in!
 Doug 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali: I've a Sea to Summit Ultrasil which seems OK but I only bought it a couple of months ago so can't comment on durability. Packs very small which is one of the reasons I bought it
In reply to Ali: I find these are ideal for that sort of thing

http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?id=4020&optionid=o12449
OP Ali 01 Jan 2013
In reply to hindu: Ah I'd not seen them! Waterproof would def be an advantage though not sure how small/light it rolls up... Wouldn't mind having a look at some point though if that's ok?
OP Ali 01 Jan 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Oooo, that's half the weight of the Alpkit - does it pack down?

The Sea to Summit is tempting because it is so tiny - but I suspect the pay off will be comfort. Plus, presuming its not waterproof I may then need to take a dry bag as well...
 PGD 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali: http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack

I use one of these and find it excellent. Multi pitch dragging days walks etc.
Managed to get mine in an REI sale.

Never found a sac as good in the uk
 Welsh Kate 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali:

"The Sea to Summit is tempting because it is so tiny - but I suspect the pay off will be comfort"

You're right! I've got one that I've used to 'summit bag' from wildcamp sites lower down. It's fine for a quick up and down with a 0.5l waterbottle, lightweight insulated jacket and camera in, but I wouldn't want to wear it for long periods or with more weight in, esp. a platy which I suspect would exascerbate its shapelessness.
ice.solo 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali:

have a think about the arcteryx cierzo 35. surprisingly affordable for arcteryx and a proper climbing pack (ive jammed 18kgs off stuff into mine for a 4 day trip).

StS ultrasil will be fine if your just wandering around town, cierzo willl handle actual real stuff AND you get the arcteryx wankery feeling.
 JXM 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali: Note that you are very likely to rip and tear one of those ultra light weight bags to pieces if you use it below the bushline in New Zealand. It could probably work if you where using it from AC huts and up but personally I wouldn't bother.
 Pete Potter 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali: Its worth looking at the Exped Cloudburst. They are based on an Exped dry bag with a roll down top so are totally waterproof. I think they are 25 litres and cost about £35.00.
I've been using one on mountain routes for years and it's lasted well.
 GridNorth 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali: The most "packable" rucksack I am aware of is this one: http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/Illusion+Pack?utm_source=google&utm_mediu...

It folds down to a rectangle about 6"x4"x2" but is quite robust material.
OP Ali 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Pete Potter: I think the Cloudburst is actually my facourite at the moment...particularly in New Zealand I can see the advantages of having a waterproof bag and the reviews all seem really good. The Alpkit version looks ok, but much heavier and I think I'd rather save the weight!

Did a trial pack of the 50L sack I'm hoping to take as my 'main' pack (which I'd also empty and use for day walks) and it was pretty full, so I think I'll probably need to carry a smaller bag as well.
 TobyA 02 Jan 2013
 3leggeddog 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Ali:
I bought a tiny packable sac from decathlon. Holds 15 litres, packs down smaller than an apple and weighs much less. It cost less than a fiver. It is very useful, main uses are as a day sac and for winter climbing(leave big bag in corrie, carry essentials in little bag). I have had it for 7 years now so it must be pretty robust.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...