UKC

Binocular collimation problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have a pair of Nikon Travelite binoculars which have been great. But using them over Xmas they have suddenly produced double vision. Wife corroborated this (thought my eyes were just going bad). It seems the collimation is out of sync. Could this happen by dropping them on the floor?

Also, does anyone know if it's something you can adjust yourself, or is it a trip to the binocular shop?
 toad 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers: Yes, it could happen by dropping them (personal experience!). It's probably a trip to the shop, but... I know a couple of people who have inadvertently sorted them out by dropping them again. Not something I'd recommend, mind.
 digby 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:

They come to bits quite easily (well at least mine do). Unscrew anything that you can unscrew and check a prism hasn't slipped (on mine they are held in place by small metal arms attached by one screw), or a lens similarly.

Though I don't have your particular binoculars.
 Adam Long 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:

I've been through at least three pairs of cheap binos over the years due to this problem - seems to be inevitable unless you're very careful. Solved it by spending a few hundred quid on a decent pair with a 30-year guarantee, I reckon it will be cheaper in the long run.
In reply to Game of Conkers: I have had this problem with several pairs of cheap ones so I just unscrewed one of the lenses - keep the half that has the adjustment and use them as monoculars. Saves weight in the rucksack as well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...