UKC

Clwyd bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Doig 02 Jan 2013
Has anyone any suggestions for a bouldering venue that might be dry on Saturday in the Clwyd area. Somewhere with problems between 6c and 7b would be good - not that I'm expecting a great deal!
Cheers
Al
 Luke Owens 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Doig:
Pantymwyn (Devil's Gorge) should dry out if it stays dry until Saturday (Looks as if it might). Grades from 6C - 8A.

Most places do tend to seep in the Clwyd.

The Monument Boulders in the Eglwyseg will be dry but the grades arn't as hard as you're looking for.

There's also a good bouldering wall at Ruthin Escarpment called Butterfly Butress. It was developed recently. Should be dry too. Topo:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=550
OP Al Doig 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Luke Owens: Thanks for that Luke. It says to contact the landowner when visiting Butterfly Buttress does this still stand?
 Luke Owens 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Doig:

I haven't contacted the Landowner when i've been and I don't know anyone who does. Just make sure you park on the main road and walk to the crag (It's a 5 - 10 minute walk) as people have been known to park outside drive way's nearer the crag on a residents only road and this could effect access.

Also beware if you have a dog, one of the houses you pass when walking in (possibly the landowner) has 2 pretty nasty dogs which jumped over the wall at my friends dog once when we were there!

doylo 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Doig:

Butterfly Buttress is great but would it really be dry??
 Luke Owens 02 Jan 2013
In reply to doylo:

I think it will be if it stays dry until Saturday. It's been pretty windy lately too.
 greg_may_ 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Luke Owens:

That's just down the road from where I've moved to! Might pop along and take a peak. Pads are still in Ireland though
 Luke Owens 02 Jan 2013
In reply to greg_may_:

Let us know if it's dry if you could please Greg!

Pads are a must there though, problems end quite high on the wall (One of the 7B's tops out). The landing is poor under the Fritillary Flake links.
OP Al Doig 02 Jan 2013
In reply to greg_may_: If you are down there before Saturday I would be grateful if you could post what state the crag is in.
Cheers
 greg_may_ 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Doig:

I'll try and pop up tomorrow, was dry here most of the day so should be ok.
 greg_may_ 05 Jan 2013
In reply to greg_may_:

Sorry, didn't manage to get out, friends turned up to house unexpected with food...was rude to turn them away!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...