UKC

Boots for 6000m peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JoMC 02 Jan 2013
Hi,
I'm looking for boots for doing some 6000m trekking peaks - the likes of Ecuador volcanos, Stok Kangri, Mera Peak etc. What sort of boots would you suggest? Santa brought me a pari of Mantas, but I'm guessing that these wouldn't be warm enough and was wondering about exchanging them for something else since I don't live anywhere near any sort of snow, so am only likely to get to use them maybe once or twice a winter.
Thanks!
In reply to JoMC: you can get some Scarpa Omegas for quite cheap if you shop around.
ice.solo 02 Jan 2013
In reply to JoMC:

baturas. great for shorter trips to 6000m (maybe 3 days up high), will nail anything you will do in winter, nice to walk in for approaches, and they look stylish on the shelf when youre not using them.

make sure they fit tho, of course. several companies do single boots with integrated gaiters these days so shop around.
readysalted 03 Jan 2013
I always use AKU boots, but I imagine they wouldn't be technical, or robust enough for the altitude you'll be using them.

In snowdonia last Feb, a friend of mine bought with him a pair of Zamberlan boots which he said he bought in Canada in the 80's. I thought they looked old fashioned and uncomfortably heavy, but having since googled them, and seen them in various high end mountaineering shops, they would certainly be the next make on my list to try once my current boots are worn out.

http://www.zamberlan.com/index.php

Here's their site. I guess they're a bit more traditional than you're mondern mountaineering boots, but I like that.

Mountain Llama 03 Jan 2013
In reply to JoMC: most commercial trips will recommend plastics for 6000m peaks as they are warm and will not suffer from getting wet then frozen as leather may, but they can be uncomfortable. If u go this route make sure u try the omegas. The other way is single skin boots which will be better to walk-in. Have a look at Needlesports web site for ideas.

Wat ever you do make sure u try b4 u buy.

HTH Davey
ScaredOheights 03 Jan 2013
In reply to JoMC: if you're thinking of doing Mera then a pair of plastics boots are essential. I was oexped with someone who wore Nepal Extremes and they got frost bite and didn't summit because of it. I was toasty warm in my Vegas! Sme guys had Sportiva Spatniks and raved about them, like everything though try them out first.
almost sane 03 Jan 2013
In reply to JoMC:
It depends a lot on which 6,000m peaks you are going for.
There are some where you are likely to be walking trough snow for days, and others where you could reach the summit without going on very much snow at all.

There are some which have technical sections, and others that are walks.

Finding out more details about your particular objective should make your boot options clearer.
leedonowitz 03 Jan 2013
In reply to JoMC:

Hi, I am selling a brand new pair of Sportiva Spantiks. I bought them in December but our Aconcagua trip has been called off. They were a special order so can't return them to the shop. Ideal for trekking peaks between 6 - 7000m. Never worn and still in box with tags. They are superb and so light. http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/spantik
Size 45 / 10.5 Cost me £500 but open to sensible offers.
JoMC 04 Jan 2013
In reply to leedonowitz:
Thanks. Unfortunately I would need around a size 41. Shame about your trip. My friend is just back.
Trying the boots on is the problem. It's Cotswolds or nothing for me unfortunately, but I'll go and see what they have.
leedonowitz 08 Jan 2013
In reply to JoMC: No problem, thanks. Really are superb boots though, fit is beautiful and because you have inner boot, outer boot and insoles you can pretty much tweak it all until the fit is perfect. I wished i'd bought mine before climbing Mera peak. Good luck.
 Joe G 08 Jan 2013
In reply to ScaredOheights:
> I was toasty warm in my Vegas!

Aye, good old Scarpa Vegas... there are newer, fancier, lighter things out there but I like my vegas. And people are often selling them cheap second hand... you could maybe pick a pair up for £50 instead of paying 10 times that for a new pair of boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...