UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: New River Gorge New Route and More

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Jan 2013
Something Old Something New - Video, 5 kbIn this video from Louder Than 11 we see Ben Spannuth and Mike Williams climbing at the New River Gorge, West Virginia, USA.

As well as an excellent portrait of an superb looking sandstone area, the film also shows a difficult new route in the 5.14 grade range.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67712

Boogs 02 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Nice flick , Track 2 (soundtrack momentarily sent my brain into meltdown) , The third route looks like really good fun , quite fancy that one .
 AdamBrown 04 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:
This guy is the antithesis of american climbing. I love him he's great
 Neil Morbey 06 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:
450 climbs to get the accent of a sport route?!... Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Am I the only one who finds it hard to get excited about sport climbing videos?

Has anyone been to NR gorge? What's the big appeal - it is all over climbing news these days.

God I'm sounding bitter today
 AJM 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Neil Morbey:

> Has anyone been to NR gorge? What's the big appeal - it is all over climbing news these days.

Has it? I wonder if you're merging the red river gorge and the new river gorge together in your mind?

> God I'm sounding bitter today

Well, frankly, yes.

The wifi here is too slow to stream the video smoothly, but I'm looking forwards to seeing it when I get home.

Stuart S 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Neil Morbey:

> Has anyone been to NR gorge? What's the big appeal - it is all over climbing news these days.

Like the previous poster said, I think you're confusing the Red River Gorge in Kentucky with the New River Gorge in West Virginia. Apart from this video, it's the Red that has been getting all the press recently due to Adam Ondra etc.

I visited the New a couple of years ago on the recommendation of a couple of friends from New Jersey who have been to Kalymnos but still reckoned the New was the best sport climbing area they'd found. I've not been to Kalymnos so can't comment on that comparison, but it's certainly a pretty cool spot - tall, well-bolted sandstone walls in riverside/lakeside settings in the middle of a huge broadleaf forest. There are also trad routes intermingled with the sport climbing, so should be plenty to keep most folk happy. It's also a bit of a redneck backwater, so a visit to the local wall-mart can be educational!
 jon 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Neil Morbey:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Am I the only one who finds it hard to get excited about sport climbing videos?

No. But you don't have to watch them.

Yes, I have. The New is a fabulous area. As the others have said, don't get the New and the Red confused.

> God I'm sounding bitter today

Aren't you. Cheer up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...