UKC

How many calories in climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 03 Jan 2013
How long is a piece of string?

I know.

Just started a calorie counter app suggested by Ava and I want to include my excercise. The only problem is that I only walk or climb and avoid all other fitness stuff like the plague. This means that my chosen app does not know how to calculate the calories used while climbing and neither do I.

So, I would appreciate a rough and ready amount of calories used at a local wall in an hour with about 4 or 5 routes clocked on a 10 metre pitch each time?
 LennyJ1 03 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I have also been counting my calories and the app I have been using is Myfitnesspal.

And when I go to add climbing as a exercise it says 10 minutes of climbing is equal to 181 calories burnt.

Seem a bit excessive.
 Skyfall 03 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1:

Funnily enough I was looking at exactly this last night. The same app says 157 calories for 10 mins for me (does it adjust the calories for bodyweight maybe?). Whatever, I agree it sounds a lot but that's probably 10 minutes actually climbing, not 8 mins standing at the foot of a route chatting to mates and 2 minute climbing. So I guess if I do say 15 routes at the wall and spend a couple of mins on each that's still only 30 mins - about 450 calories - whcih sounds about right.
OP The Lemming 03 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1:

I've got the same app, and when I enter climbing it says not found.

I must be doing something wrong. I'll try again.

Cheers
OP The Lemming 03 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Ahh, I was looking in strength and not cardio. Who'd have thought that climbing was aerobic/cardio and not aerobic?
 Kieran_John 03 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming: From a purely geek perspective I've been debating seeing if I can record the change in altitude via GPS on my phone when climbing, see if I can figure out how much climbing I do in each session.

It's just indoor I'm not sure if my GPS signal will work and outdoor (and in to an extent) I'm afraid of mushing my phone in to a rock.
 digby 03 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Those figures probably include base rate - what you'd burn anyway regardless of activity. I doubt climbing adds a great deal to the total, unless you are unusually active - doing concentrated reps for instance.
 Skyfall 03 Jan 2013
In reply to digby:

That's got to be wrong. You're using quite big muscle groups, legs/arms, quite intensively. As I said, if you count only the actual time you spend physically climbing, it's probably not too far off. It's certainly a lot higher intensity than 'resting' sat at my desk.
 TomGinge 03 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I got myself a heart rate monitor that also does calories for when I went bouldering indoors, simply because I didnt trust what the app on my phone was telling me. In about 2.5-3 hours of bouldering with a couple of ten minute breaks I burn about 1500 calories consistently. Don't know how it would be for route climbing, but maybe the 100+ calories in 10 minutes is correct?

Ginge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...