UKC

The Knowledge..lightweight primaloft-Down under Goretex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Patrick123 03 Jan 2013
Hi anyone recommend a lightweight primaloft/down garment to wear underneath a goretex layer good for -10 ..Bonne Annee Happy New Year Bong123
 TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to BONG123: "Good for -10" is very, very vague. Personally I wouldn't wear down under my goretex (and I wouldn't wear much primaloft under it either - this sort of thing http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4447 being an exception) unless I was standing around doing nothing in the rain (in which case it wouldn't be -10).

I've just bought a very slimline uniqlo ultalight down jacket for a very reasonable 60 quid which would fit under my goretex fine, but I suspect it wouldn't work brilliant there, so why my question is why do you a down jacket under a shell?
 Cameron94 03 Jan 2013
In reply to BONG123: This is perfect for chilly days under a jacket, I've used it over the top as well when the windchill has been aound -14 and been fine while stationary.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Mid_Layer-Sweaters/Atom-LT-Ves...
 beardy mike 03 Jan 2013
In reply to BONG123: Have had a couple of Rab Generator smocks now and they are ace. I use them in preference to a fleece a lot of the time now. Won't be warm enough if you're stood still for ages, but that's what belay parkas are for, and those go over the top. As Toby says, down and gore aren't a great combo. Infact gore and -10 aren't a great combo...
 TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to BONG123) Have had a couple of Rab Generator smocks now and they are ace. I use them in preference to a fleece a lot of the time now.

Do you not find you get damp inside them? I was quite surprised but when I tried the marmot variant as a mid layer that if I was working hard I got sweat building up inside. Doesn't seem a problem when they are your outer layer.
 jonnie3430 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

I know a couple of people that wear a Arcteryx Atom LT hoody under their goretex for winter climbing, they run cold and it's an easy way to avoid having to wear two bulky fleeces as the mid layer.
 beardy mike 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: Well yeah, I guess it depends on how hard you're working. Personally when I'm out and it's cold, I wouldn't be wearing a gore anyway unless I was thrutching up some chimney which was really damp. But then you'd be getting damp anyway, now matter how hard you tried not to, so you might as well have a fast drying primaloft rather than a slow drying fleece...
 TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to mike kann: After years of using just softshells for 95% of my winter stuff I went back to using a goretex when I reviewed the Marmot Alpinist. I was pretty impressed with it breathability and generally just wear a base and micro fleece of some type under. I've never found that micro fleeces get really wet, a bit damp if your sweat loads but I reckon they dry really fast. Hence when trying the variant I noticed i was damp under the insulated bit in away I don't get with a micro fleece under a shell. I think its the two layers of pertex (or similar nylon) that is less permeable to sweat? This new Polartec material that the military have been using seems to be a response to this - warm and compressible as synth insulation but breathable as fleece.
In reply to BONG123:

Montane Prism, though if you're belaying for any period of time, you'll need to add more.

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...