UKC

ice on beinn udlaidh ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alburns 03 Jan 2013
does anyone know if there is any climbing to be done in beinn udlaidh did sunshine gully a few years back would like to try it again.
 JLS 03 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:

The weather here in Glasgow is... brass monkey testicles intactus at 11deg.

There is no chance the ice will be any good in the near future.
 Jamie B 03 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:

If you're meaning for the next week or so, forget it. Mild temps very much in control. Udlaidh is quite low-lying as Scottish venues go, so will always be the first to thaw out. You might get something done by going high (think 1000m+ altitude), either Ben Nevis or Cairngorms, but I fear that even on those high crags options will be limited and things will be thawing/falling down.
drmarten 03 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:
I drove down from Glencoe through Glen Orchy today, a tad depressing from a winter climbing viewpoint. The gullies on Stob Coire Nan Lochain look to be complete but with 10 or 11 degrees at the roadside I'd expect them to be rather soggy - all the buttresses and ridges are black. Buachaille Etive Mor was nigh on bare of snow in the Curved Ridge/North Buttress areas.
Udlaidh was in cloud as I drove past but again with 10 degrees at the roadside and as Jamie B says at an elevation of about 5 or 600m *and* with no really cold weather preceding it I wouldn't waste my time looking for ice up there. The hills are rather stripped at the moment and the thaw is continuing, I don't see any signs yet of another cold spell. I would take this oppportunity to remind people of those "coldest winter ever" predictions made in some newspapers, so there's hope yet
 CurlyStevo 03 Jan 2013
In reply to drmarten:
I think it's fair to say its very unlikely to be the coldest winter ever and the fact it was in the daily mail that is would be the coldest winter for 100 years and the other week was going to be the coldest week in 20 has pretty much no bearing on my thought process in the slightest.

That said it's only january, its still early season, plenty of time for some more winter and there probably will be some!
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to drmarten).
>
> That said it's only january, its still early season, some !

What! I would consider Oct/Nov to be early season. You are obviously very optimistic??!

Stuart
 CurlyStevo 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Stuart the postie:
There was quite a few years in the last 10 its hardly come good at all until mid feb, I've always thought mid season was more like mid jan until middle of march or something. Anyway you know what I mean, the period before February is often sporadic and its not unusual for there to be rather limited ice and neve before this.
drmarten 03 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I'm hoping you saw the irony in my post, I was using the opportunity to point out that the predictions about coldest winter ever were utter mince then and proven now.
I agree there is still plenty of time, if it's still like this in February or March I'd be more disappointed. I half expected a major thaw at some point after the first initial snow coverings of winter.

alburns 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: thanks for the feedback appreciated !
alburns 04 Jan 2013
In reply to JLS: cheers fyi I phoned snowzone @ braehead the iceclimbing wall will be ready mid February so if all else fails I'll be heading there then on to the pub
alburns 04 Jan 2013
In reply to drmarten: thanks for the reply appreciated
 RKernan 17 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:

Anyone seen Beinn Udlaidh the last couple of days? I'm optimistic it might be coming in nicely now.
 Jamie B 17 Jan 2013
In reply to RKernan:

Have been out and about in the Glencoe/Bridge of Orchy hills for last 3 days, haven't seen a lot of ice.
In reply to alburns:
A lot of powder snow being moved around the Bridge of Orchy hills today in a strong south-easterly. AS Jamie says, not much sign of ice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...