UKC

Straightening new warped internal door

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 03 Jan 2013
Not sure if it was bought warped or has warped in storage but upon hanging the door it seems it's quite warped, not ridiculous but enough to mean that the top kicks out quite a bit from the stop.

The door has been cut to fit so can't be returned. It cost about £50 and can't be used elsewhere and I'm reluctant to consign it to the log pile. I've had a brief look and it appears you may be able to straighten a warped door. One method suggested saturating it in water. I was thinking I'd just lie it flat and weight the relevant bits and see if it straightens.

Anyone any further knowledge on this / know if it actually works?

Thanks.
 JSA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to ksjs:

I've had to take the twist out of doors in the past, the easiest way is to lay it flat and put a block of wood under the corners that are touching the floor then weight the opposite corners.
If it's not too twisted then simply let the hinge out a bit.
Whatever you do though, do not let the door get wet let alone saturated, this will knacker the joints!
Robin76 03 Jan 2013
In reply to ksjs: We've got exactly the same problem - but on our new front door. Have been advised to screw on a bolt to the warped section at the top to force it to sit flush. Have no idea if this will work however.
 JSA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Robin76:

Nope, the door will stay twisted, the bolt will only pull it to the frame.
 KellyKettle 03 Jan 2013
In reply to ksjs: Does the temperature and/or humidity of the area the door is hung vary considerably through the year?

If yes, I'd not worry about trying to straighten it out if it works as a door If you need a door to remain just so in those kind of conditions, then either traditional ledged and braced construction or engineered timber doors are the best option, solid wood frame and panel doors will naturally change a little with moisture content as the seasons go round.

If it is going into a stable environment, then applying a significant weight (and possibly some gentle heat) may be able to deform the fibres in the timber back into true, but it's not a sure thing.

OP ksjs 03 Jan 2013
In reply to ksjs: On further inspection it appears the whole door is bowed.

The door is now on the floor with the middle supported and weight at both ends. I'm wondering if this isn't the wrong way round however i.e. I should support the ends and weight the middle?

Anyway, will give it overnight and see what it looks like tomorrow...

Thanks all for replies - sounds like it might work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...