UKC

SPA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jason1993 03 Jan 2013
Thinking of doing my SPA training ,, i have climbed for the last 5 years, mainly bouldering and recently sport and trad,, has anyone out there done the SPA and if so what type of things is essential to be able to complete it . do you have to climb a certain grade and do u have to have loads of experience in trad.... also ,, do you have to have your own trad gear ( protection wise)
 WJV0912 03 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993:

The SPA is designed for those wishing to take groups out and support novices rock climbing so a decent understanding of trad climbing, ropework and group management is required. There's no requirement to climb a certain grade on your training but on your assessment you want to be comfortable leading a Severe. Take a look at the minimum requirement for SPA training and make sure you fit into that. The more experience and knowledge before you go for training, the better, so you can get a lot more out of it.

Take a look here for more info http://www.mountain-training.org/award-schemes/spa
 Paul at work 03 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993:
You will find most of the answers to your questions on the mountain training website.
www.mountain-training.org
 AlH 03 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993: Download the handbook here- http://www.mountain-training.org/award-schemes/spa
From pg 9
Registration
4.1 To register you should have a genuine interest in rock climbing and the supervision of groups on single pitch crags. You should have at least twelve months rock climbing experience and be at least eighteen years of age.
4.2 You should be an individual or club member of a mountaineering council.
4.3 Candidates with particular requirements or special needs may wish to contact Mountain Leader Training staff for advice and guidance (see Appendix 3).
4.4 Candidates should allow up to fifteen working days for their application to be processed and returned.
4.5 On receipt of the registration form and appropriate fee, the home nationTraining Board will issue a logbook. Candidates' personal details and progression through the scheme will be recorded on the national Mountain Leader Training database.

....And from Training:
5.1 Before attending a training course, candidates must be registered on the Single Pitch Award scheme (see 4 above) and must have led at least 15 graded rock climbs outdoors on routes where the protection is leader placed....

Al
OP jason1993 03 Jan 2013
In reply to WJV0912: i currently climb at font 6c / e4,e5 trad.. know how to place equipment and have a lot of experience with groups as i work in a school and a youth club. would it be wise to first do my CWA before or just go straight for the SPA
 AlH 03 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993: They are slightly different beasts. You sound very capable of going to SPA and if you want to take groups to outdoor crags you can do that and work on artificial walls with the SPA. The CWA whilst confined to indoor walls does offer more in terms of learning about introducing basic climbing movement to beginners (you can always pick this up by doing a BMC/MCofS FUNdamentals or wait for the new Mountain Training Coaching Climbing Awards which are on the horizon).
OP jason1993 03 Jan 2013
In reply to AlH: thinking that SPA will be the best at the minuet as i work in a school and youth club i would love to be able to take groups of them trying what i do as a hobby ... thanks
 Paul at work 03 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993: Which school do you work at and where?
OP jason1993 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Paul at work: Swinton ... any reason in asking? no offence
 Jonny2vests 03 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993:
> (In reply to WJV0912) i currently climb at font 6c / e4,e5 trad..

Fooof, you're right on the borderline there, I think maybe wait till you can at least spend an hour fumbling about on a VDiff.

skarabrae 03 Jan 2013
In reply to AlH: do you have anymore info on this new qualification??
 AlH 03 Jan 2013
In reply to skarabrae: Steve Long is the man to ask but- http://www.mountain-training.org/news/coaching-coming-soon and I know a pilot Assessment occurred shortly before Christmas.
skarabrae 03 Jan 2013
In reply to AlH: thanks for that.
 Paul at work 03 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993: Some areas have funding available to help with people wanting to gain outdoor qualifications.
OP jason1993 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Paul at work: Oh thank will look into that
 Nick_Scots 10 Jan 2013
In reply to jason1993: Hi, I have my SPSA (as it was called originally), did the training in 1992 and Assessment in 1996. Bit of a gap as I had not done the 40 pitches, by assessment. I passed but was DEFERRED until I logged 5 crags and 40 pitches.

I have used it at my school since 1996, after school weekly outdoors or at RATHO etc. Just in from being at RATHO now.

Go for the SPA with the Remit - you can outdoor climb, abseil, indoor climb and you can lead outside and a climber can second you, great experience for kids. So a big step up, you can add-on the Indoor leading module later.

I also Teach Outdoor Learning during my timetable, which I do Climbing as well.

In terms of the Assessment, best practice 3 anchors all equalised and independent - if possible, be slick with setting up top rope routes and abseil management. And be able to lead a Severe and empty a rack of nuts, hexes and friends. Obviously not all routes will take all that protection but practice on routes where you can put lots of gear. If your Assessor seconds you on assessment day, if you can empty your rack, it's great evidence for them to see.

Every time you lead after the SPA Training, keep practising the 'best practice' you see.
 Nick_Scots 10 Jan 2013
Also, always protect yourself at the top of crag when setting up ropework, even if comfortable on that type of ground when leading normally.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...