UKC

Running the Trotternish Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 04 Jan 2013
Has anyone here run the Trotternish Ridge? It looks like it would be a good day out, maybe later this year.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Jan 2013
In reply to tony:
No, but we walked half of it and commented at the time that it would make a good run
 Solaris 04 Jan 2013
In reply to tony:

No, but like Toreador, have often had my eye caught by it. The possibility of running it is mentioned in the description of it in one of the Richard Gilbert/Ken Wilson walking books, iirc.

Another fantastic run on Skye is the coast from Orbost to Ramasaig but it'd be easier than Trotternish.
OP tony 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Solaris:
>
> Another fantastic run on Skye is the coast from Orbost to Ramasaig but it'd be easier than Trotternish.

Just looked at that on a map - in good weather, that would be fantastic! Is there a path all the way - from the 1:50k map, it looks like there's a section in the middle without a path.
 Solaris 04 Jan 2013
In reply to tony:

There's a track and then a good path from Orbost to MacLeod's Maiden's, then it's make it up for yourself as far as Lorgill - at least, though some maps show one, I didn't find a path - and then from Lorgill to Ramasaig there's a track.

One of the things I found particularly memorable about that run is that it's fairly committing: standing on top of MacLeod's Tables gazing over the boggy moorland towards the sea before doing it, I thought, "Wow, that looks pretty isolated country". It is!

And as a reward to the kind person who has dropped you off and met you, you can take them to the Three Chimneys - it's just round the corner.
OP tony 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Solaris:
>
> And as a reward to the kind person who has dropped you off and met you, you can take them to the Three Chimneys - it's just round the corner.

Thanks for all that - I'm beginning to see a plan developing. A reason to go to the Three Chimneys would be excellent!
 Solaris 04 Jan 2013
In reply to tony:
> A reason to go to the Three Chimneys would be excellent!

Well, you'll just have to do it now!
 Grahame N 07 Jan 2013
In reply to tony:

I believe there is to be a Trotternish Ridge race this year on 18th May.
See http://www.shr.uk.com/Info/SHR_Calendar_2013.pdf
OP tony 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Grahame N:

Hmm. I have another race two days before that. But the Trotternish Ridge is considerably more appealing than Kinnoull Hill. Better get training!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...