UKC

If you had all of July off...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom W 04 Jan 2013
If you had all of July off, where would you go?
 Boogs 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

http://www.extreme-sochi.ru/ possibly start here .

But I don't think I would limit myself to one location and would cover as much ground as poss that was still at a relaxing and fun pace .
 Jon Stewart 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

I have for the past couple of years, and I stayed in the UK both times, just chasing the whether. First time was amazing, climbed many of the bets routes of my life at Gogarth, Pembroke and in Cornwall. Tried the same again in 2011 and I sat on my arse at home, staring out into the rain, wishing I had a job.

If I'm off again this July, my preference will be UK sea cliffs but if the weather's looking dodgy I might research the cheapest possible location abroad - but given I like adventurous trad and don't like bolts and limestone, I think overseas and cheap gives limited options.
OP Tom W 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks for ideas so far. Obviously, money is a consideration but I'm willing to spend a bit for the right trip.

Original plan was campervanning around Europe with my mrs, but that now looks unlikely as we broke up, so I was considering doing that on my own anyway. Climb, take bikes, surfboard, etc. Super flexible, can do lots of different stuff, take all my own kit, meet up with friends and so on.

However, part of me thinks I should go further afield seeing as I have 4 weeks (which is unlikely to be repeated with my jobs leave policy). I have also been campervanning around France (Cham, west coast, Pyrennes etc), but only 2 weeks at a time.
 GustavRocrope 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

South Africa?
http://www.climbing.co.za/topo/pdf/Waterval_Boven_Guide_May_2012.pdf
http://www.rocrope.com
http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/index.php?title=KwaZulu_Natal

Do a nice circular route doing phenomenal sport and/or trad climbing. Take some rest days in the Kruger National Park or hiking in the Drakensberg. Brilliant.

Feel free to mail me for tips & further info - gustav@rocrope.com

GustavRocrope 04 Jan 2013
PS: I forgot to mention that July is perfect because your chance of seeing blue skies 99% of the time is pretty much guaranteed.
 Trangia 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

Somewhere wet and cold like the Falklands.....
 silhouette 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: Somebody mentioned muti-pitch in Madagascar (I have no idea whether its the rainy seacon though). There are some group tours to Ethiopia?
 Offwidth 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

Probably High Sierra California. Tuolumne etc.
 Denni 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:
> If you had all of July off, where would you go?

Lofoten
In reply to Tom W:

I have -- first week doing touristy things through the Canadian Rockies - then 4 weeks in Central BC with our daughter, where there is loads to do - canoeing, biking, fishing, camping, quadding, drinking beer etc, then finishing off with a couple of days at Squamish seeing friends.

Sadly I'm too old and unfit to do any worthwhile climbing, (I may get some mild bimbling done on my daughters local crag) however there are plenty of other fun things to do to keep me and Lady Starkness from getting bored.
redsonja 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: this year i had all july and half of august off. it was incredible! flew to krakow, then to the polish high tatra and did a fantastic route called orla pecs (eagle path). this was 8hrs or so along knife edge ridges protected with chains and ladders. then to slovakia high tatra where we climbed gerlach, the highest mountain in slovakia, and a couple of other peaks, then a couple of days in the low tatra and a couple days in bratislava then vienna. at this point my climbing partner had to go back home to work, so i flew to romania and spent 2 weeks sightseeing and hiking, including moldovenau, the highest mountain in romania. then to bulgaria where i climbed musala and did a three day backpacking trip in the rila mountains. then i went to greece and climbed mt olympus. and guess what. in over 6 weeks there was 1 day when it was cold, grey and wet. the rest of the time was hot and sunny and beautiful blue sky. i wish i could do this every year. i met a guy who had done something similar but in georgia, tajikistan and kryghistan.thats what i want to do next!
 Nathan Adam 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: If i had the cash, i'd drive around the NW highlands in a van.

Week in Fort William/Glen Coe
Week on Skye
Week in Torridon
Week in Sutherland.

But if I was telling the truth, probably Chamonix.
 Caralynh 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

I have pretty much all of June off and I am going to the Andes 😊
 Kevster 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:
Northern hemisphere or tropics.

South west and wales sea cliff are good shouts.

Scotland might be midged out, but climbing sea stacks or pabbay sound sweet. Also fancy fairhead.

But, Europe or africa would probably win with me. Doesn't have to all be climbing. Safari, dunes, mountains, differnt cultures and food.
OP Tom W 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. I think I am going to go to Europe in the campervan! It's the most flexible, allows me to do a little bit of everything, will easily meet people but can also have friends along for short sections etc.

I have looked at ferries to Spain, but they seem very expensive, so probable port of entry will be Calais on the tunnel (most flexible).

Any must visit areas? I think I will take climbing / alpine kit, bikes, and possibly surfboard. I have visited both the French west coast and Chamonix in the van, and although I like the idea of going to both again, I think it would be wise to head elsewhere too. I'm not limited to France, and I would like to visit some cities, museums etc as well (but remembering I'll have the van). So, any suggestions / itineraries?
 tim000 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: july it has to be france to watch the tour .
 hilty 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: chamonix, without a doubt!
 Kimono 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: walk the camino de santiago de compostela?
 TimB 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:
> (In reply to Tom W)
>
> Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. I think I am going to go to Europe in the campervan!
> Any must visit areas? I think I will take climbing / alpine kit, bikes, and possibly surfboard. I have visited both the French west coast and Chamonix in the van,

Ailefroide for big stuff and bouldering,
then Ceuse for sport,
then Targasonne for bouldering on the way to...
Bilbao for the Guggenheim,
then Biarritz/Northern Spain for surfing?
 James Oswald 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to Tom W) If i had the cash, i'd drive around the NW highlands in a van.
>
> Week in Fort William/Glen Coe
> Week on Skye
> Week in Torridon
> Week in Sutherland.
>
> But if I was telling the truth, probably Chamonix.

If the weather's turns out well for you I can't think of anything better for trad in the UK.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W:

Spain in July will be baking hot.

Chris
 aln 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: I'd go to Io.
 henwardian 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom W: Hi Tom. You still looking for a partner for this trip? I'm planning to tour around Europe in a camper climbing for a few months at least, Seems like the earliest I will be able to get out there would be week 2 in July but I would be very keen to hook up and climb near Chamonix, in the Ecrin or the Dolomites (got lots of targets in the dolomites) or anywhere in the higher mountains for the rest of July and any of August that you are still out there.
Drop me a mail if you would be interested and we can see if our visions of a holiday are at all compatable
In reply to henwardian:
Ceuse..
That is all.
In reply to TimB:
> (In reply to Tom W)
> [...]
> ...
> [...]
>
> Ailefroide for big stuff and bouldering,
> then Ceuse for sport,
> then Targasonne for bouldering on the way to...
> Bilbao for the Guggenheim,
> then Biarritz/Northern Spain for surfing?

Actually scrap my last post.. I'd do this! Actually I think I might just do it in August in the van with the family.. Ticks all the boxes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...