UKC

Subluminal rescue, Swanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Helen Heanes 05 Jan 2013
Hi.

Anyone know anything else about the climber needding to be pulled out of Subluminal yesterday?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-20909402

ta h
 Jamie B 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Helen Heanes:

Total speculation, but it does look like nobody knew how to either (a) use a prussik to ascend or (b) do a hoist.
 Trangia 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Again total speculation (but what the hell, as it sounds as though this incident had a happy ending?)

The climber may have been leading which would have made rescue by his second a problem?
 cuppatea 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Helen Heanes:

An expensive way of doing it, I would speculate that the local cliff rescue volunteer Coastguard lads would have been much cheaper...

Jamie B 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

"His fellow climbers were unable to pull him back to the top" suggests to me that someone (partner or other climbers) were able to get a rope above him (if it wasn't there already) but unable to progress the situation from there.

Agree, speculation is much more fun when nobody got hurt!
 Pagan 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Or climb the Diff to get out.
 Jamie B 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Pagan:

> Or climb the Diff to get out.

That might not be an option if he was on the wrong side of the "bad step" or unable/unwilling to untie and traverse unroped, possibly amid high seas.

I've seen beginners, particularly unfit or obese ones who after a few climbs would not have been able to pull themselves up a Swanage Diff (seem to remember it's still quite steep). Add wet holds (maybe the weather changed?) and a sometimes intimidating atmosphere and you have a need to hoist!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...