UKC

Thats it, France or somewhere else next yr !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 clivecops 05 Jan 2013
This time next week i will be driving 500 miles(Somerset) up to a none snowy scotland for 2 weeks, paid for a cottage for the 2nd wk near FW, was planning on snow holing camping the 1st wk. Last yr came up for 2 wks in Feb again with no snow! got snow shoes, snow stakes, deadman, etc all packed think i will leave them behind! only get to get away for 2 wks a yr, what a load of rubbish 500 miles south next yr !
 Davy Gunn 05 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops: Plenty of snow and colder next week so stop moaning. Snow stakes and deadmen. Are you in a devilish cult?
OP clivecops 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Young Fox: lol
 Jamie B 05 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops:

Don't write it off just yet; in a week's time winter may well have returned, and if you're here for 2 weeks you're bound to get some product.
 Michael Gordon 05 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops:

You've probably timed it perfectly. Thank your lucky stars you're not up there just now!
 GridNorth 05 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops: Welcome to the club. I gave up on Scotland many years ago after several abortive visits. Living in the South West it's easier to get to the alps. It may cost a little more but for me a drive to Scotland to do nothing is less cost affective. For all that you can't beat Scotland when the condistions are good. Lucky Scots.
 jon 05 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops:

I wouldn't come here, I had to wear shorts yesterday.
 john arran 05 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

Shorts? I had to seek shade today as it was too hot belaying without a shirt on. Still, we did have a fun time snowshoeing and snowball fighting 20 minutes up the hill yesterday.

Only problem is the lack of roadside ice hereabouts: there are venues but since they require Scottish-type walk-ins they never seem to be able to compete with the convenience of all the sun-baked crags or lift-accessible snowboarding.

Maybe I'm getting soft but in that case I reckon soft is the new black.

Hay 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
Please stop saying that.
 Milesy 05 Jan 2013
Why not book a trip in febuary or march when things are more stable and predictable? I am in Glasgow and I dont plan a trip up north more than a few days in advance.
 Jamie B 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Hay:

Stop saying what?
 Jamie B 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:

> Why not book a trip in febuary or march when things are more stable and predictable?

Wouldn't have worked last March!

> I am in Glasgow and I dont plan a trip up north more than a few days in advance.

I think if you are in Somerset the approach needs to be a little different. If I lived that far south I'd probably go for the 2-week approach or not at all.

Brass Nipples 05 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops:

Yep Alps definitely more reliable and more to do. You live southwest but for those in the South East the Alps are a similar drive time to Fort William.
 Simon4 06 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops: Erm, you may not have noticed but France is not exactly good at the moment.
 Tom Last 06 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Hay)
>
> Stop saying what?

"...get some product."

It does sound like you're a contestent in The Apprentice, or something, most disconcerting when preceeded by some otherwise sensible advice
 Tom Last 06 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops:

Somerset? Wish I was as local as that! Hold your ground man, you'll find something.
 Hay 06 Jan 2013
The product thing. *boak* *shudder*
 bigbobbyking 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Hay:
> (In reply to Jamie Bankhead)
> The product thing. *boak* *shudder*

Agreed.
 jimtitt 06 Jan 2013
In reply to john arran:
> (In reply to jon)
>
> Shorts? I had to seek shade today as it was too hot belaying without a shirt on. Still, we did have a fun time snowshoeing and snowball fighting 20 minutes up the hill yesterday.
>
> Only problem is the lack of roadside ice hereabouts: there are venues but since they require Scottish-type walk-ins they never seem to be able to compete with the convenience of all the sun-baked crags or lift-accessible snowboarding.
>
> Maybe I'm getting soft but in that case I reckon soft is the new black.
>
>

Sun? On our side of the Alps it´s raining! Freezing point around 3,000m.
 Jamie B 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Hay:

I had no idea it was so repulsive, a number of folk I know use it and I honestly wouldn't describe any of them as young Thatcherites. But if it makes you happy I'll try to refrain...
 Nigel Modern 06 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops: I believe the coldest period is mid-end Feb and having watched Welsh conditions for the last umpteen years the snow falls most reliably there middle of Feb.

Some years it doesn't work...or has thawed by the time we get up there. A few years ago we were blanketed by 30cm overnight bivvying near Pen y Pass.

Snow holing...difficult to find anywhere to do this.

A few years ago someone dug a snow hole 'mansion' at the top of Snowdon where the snow had collected in the lee of the cafe.

Nigel Modern 06 Jan 2013
 scottie390 06 Jan 2013
In reply to every fcuker:

ABANDON SHIP! To The ALPS PEOPLE!, SAVE YOURSELVES! WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!
Removed User 06 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops:

So, 1000 miles round trip plus cottage. What's all that cost then?

OP clivecops 07 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops: £700 shared between 4 looking at MWIS the weather may improve
 Jamie B 07 Jan 2013
In reply to clivecops:

The "Death of Scottish Winter" has been greatly over-hyped. We've had one bad week, climbs have been getting done since October and we're barely into the new year. Let's see what happens and judge it retrospectively.
> (In reply to clivecops)
>
>We've had one bad week,

Are you menstruating, Jamie?? I can count several more weeks than that.

Stuart
 Null 07 Jan 2013
In reply to scottie390:
> (In reply to every fcuker)
>
> ABANDON SHIP! To The ALPS PEOPLE!

But not till next week - it is sunny and spring-like right now in the Dolomites. Perfect cragging in the sun down in Arco.

Jamie B 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Stuart the postie:

OK, it's been off-and-on, and conditions haven't always favoured the weekends. But there's been plenty got done, and the spell that people have really been whinging about has only been one week long... so far..
 Timmd 07 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Hay)
>
> I had no idea it was so repulsive, a number of folk I know use it and I honestly wouldn't describe any of them as young Thatcherites. But if it makes you happy I'll try to refrain...

I'd appreciate it too, and i've only read it once on this thread.

'Product'...<<<<shudder>>>>

Note the velocity of my shudder. ()
Gone for good 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd:
Thats a pretty violent shudder!!!!
For me Scotland is what it is, good or bad, accept it for what it is. You cannot compare Scttish Winter with Alpine Winter, different level of risks and you could equally be grounded by crap weather although for different reasons. My 2 bobs worth having had many a sh/te winter season in the glorious North!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...