UKC

ME Water proof jacket cuff problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nodwas 05 Jan 2013
Hi all,

I have a 4 year old ME (I think changabang) water proof which has been awesome up until now however...... the cuff/wrist Velcro adjuster has separated from the rubber outer and is now totally useless. (if that makes sense).

Has anyone else had this problem with the Changabang?
Any recommendations for gear repair shops have seen tundra repairs, LSR but has anyone used any others?

Thanks!!
 JazG 05 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas: My Wife had exactly the same problem with hers. Despite many attempts to glue it with many different types of glue, we gave up and cut off the non functioning part of the de-laminated adjuster. She seems to cope OK with it like that.
 JoshOvki 05 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas:

Contact Mountain Equipment they might be be willing to fix it for you?
 Taurig 05 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas:

Had the same problem with my Rab jacket. Sent it back to Rab, they replaced both tabs for free (well, just the postage). Worth a try with ME.
 nniff 05 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas:

I fixed the velcro tabs on a softshell jacket with flexible Araldite years ago - they've not shown any sign of coming apart since.
 xplorer 05 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas:
I think the op means the rubber has perished at the joint?

If so I'd try ME, not much else you can do.
 chrisprescott 05 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas: Same thing happened to my ME softshell. I've glued it back together with normal super glue so we'll see how long it lasts. If it comes apart again i'll probably get in touch with Mountain Equipment.
 xplorer 05 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas

If the rubber has come away from the Velcro part make sure you use a silicon based glue. It needs to flex, super glue will become brittle and doesn't stick to rubber that well.
In reply to nodwas:

Firstly I am impressed that you have had a jacket that survived for 4 years. I once got 18 months out of one of mine and was well impressed.

Secondly I have had this happen on a number of items jackets, spraydecks etc and always repaired with super glue with mainly success
 Phil J Booth 05 Jan 2013
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:
> (In reply to nodwas)

> Firstly I am impressed that you have had a jacket that survived for 4 years. I once got 18 months out of one of mine and was well impressed.

What do you do to your jackets? I've just got 7 years out of my Berghaus Packlite and that's been given a hammering and I think its only giving up because Packlite is not made for durability!?

OP nodwas 08 Jan 2013
In reply to nodwas:
Good to hear other people have the same problem.
I have tried wetsuit glue so we shall see how that copes!

It's easy to make them last, wash them with the right stuff and reproof it all the time keeps it going nicely. I don't really see what could go wrong with them apart from wear if looked after properly.

I tried ME but they weren't that helpful to be honest, just said try an aftermarket repair shop which was quite disappointing to say the least for a £200 jacket!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...