UKC

youtube auto-suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 05 Jan 2013
Do they not get that even though you're one person you might look up widely varying content at different times. It used to be if you were watching, for example, a music track, then all the other video's at the side would be of a similar nature. Now I've got half music tracks suggested and half "how to change a fuel filter on a..." type videos because that's what I was looking at yesterday. Does my head in.

I was looking at a fridge review about 2 months ago and I still get inundated with banner adverts for fridges. Targeted marketing is often so widely off target that is it really worth the effort?
 caravanshaker 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Sharp: Totally agree, don't like the new setup. I preferred finding random vids I wouldn't otherwise have searched for.

Try clearing your cookies, that should reset you. Firefox: Tools>Clear Recent History || IE Tools>Delete Browsing History> Cookies

If you only delete cookies, your browsing history etc should remain for URL auto-completion.

If you don't like the ads, and use Firefox, I recommend the following: 1. AdBlock Plus http://adblockplus.org/en/ (this even takes out ads on 4OD vids) 2. Google's ad opt-out (they are the world's largest advertiser after all) www.google.com/settings/ads/plugin/ and 3. if you want to feel paranoid, check out Collusion www.mozilla.org/en-US/collusion/
 stp 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Owned by Google and Google use filter bubbles.

You could do a youtube search from another search engine: eg. duckduckgo's main focus is on privacy and doesn't filter bubble searches.

eg. type: your search query site:youtube.com
OP Sharp 06 Jan 2013
In reply to sharkdodge: Unfortunately clearing cookies doesn't "reset it", I don't think there's any real way to stop it, which annoys me even more. It's the suggested video's on the right hand side that are the worst, it's such a useful feature if you're watching a video because it used to give you lots of similar videos which was great for browsing through. Now you get a handful of related video's and then an abundance of things you've watched over the last few weeks. I don't want to have to trawl through climbing vids and comedy vids when I'm watching music video's. Don't they see that people watch different things at different times?
In reply to Sharp:

Are you sure? Cleared my cookies this morning before posting and haven't had any of my old history show on the right.

Checking the cookie, firefox: tools>options>privacy>show cookies... and selecting the YT cookie, it has a section "recently_watched_video_id_list", which is your YT history. From here you can just clear the YT cookie if you want.

If I were you I'd patent time-based video suggestion, you could make a mint!!
 Dominion 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Sharp:

> Now I've got half music tracks suggested and half "how to change a fuel filter on a..." type videos because that's what I was looking at yesterday. Does my head in.

I'd suggest you change your web browser, and / or change it's settings.

It's easy to avoid targetted advertising, but probably not politically correct of me to post on here to tell you how to do it...

> I was looking at a fridge review about 2 months ago and I still get inundated with banner adverts for fridges. Targeted marketing is often so widely off target that is it really worth the effort?

To the company that sells the advertising, yes, probably. As long as they can choose to avoid paying corporation tax, anyway...
In reply to Dominion:

> To the company that sells the advertising, yes, probably. As long as they can choose to avoid paying corporation tax, anyway...

They are NOT *avoiding* the corporation tax (the most ineffective, counter-productive tax going). Neither are they evading it. A company has to pay tax in only one jurisdiction within each territory, here that's the EU (and there are many member states).

The question isn't "Why aren't they paying the UK the tax?", the question is "Why isn't the tax regime in the UK the most attractive in the EU, to bag all the tax?"
KevinD 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Sharp:
> (In reply to sharkdodge) Unfortunately clearing cookies doesn't "reset it"

are you signing into youtube/google?
would be my guess as to why it is being retained after clearing memory.
 Morgan P 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Sharp: I find this really frustrating too. I have turned to other websites like:
http://iwastesomuchtime.com/topvid.php#
to find good videos for me, then when i find ones I like I go to youtube to 'like' them ...hoping it will vary their suggestions a bit...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...