UKC

tyre pressure abroad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RCJ 06 Jan 2013
hi

as title says whrn cycling abroad to you take in to consideration the days getting much warmer?

cycle tyre pressure usually 90-100psi.

Cheers Rob
 Toby_W 06 Jan 2013
In reply to RCJ: no, just use the normal correct pressure for my weight as stated on the tyres which in my case is 120psi for pro race tyres.

When I was cycling in the outback in Queensland Australia one summer I had my touring tyres up at 80-90psi over their recommended 65psi as I had no gauge on my pump and over did it after a puncture. Temps were in the 40-50 region and they didn't explode. Ride comfort and rolling resistance mat have been a little compromised though.

Cheers

Toby
 TobyA 06 Jan 2013
In reply to RCJ: I'm "abroad" I guess, it's -10 at the mo' and last time I rode my bike I let a bit of tyre pressure out: grips better in fresh powder and smooths out refrozen icy snow after the ploughs have cleared the cycle paths.
 balmybaldwin 06 Jan 2013
In reply to RCJ:

100psi is 100psi whether the temp is 50c or -20c. Just use your usual pressures. However if you put 100psi in a tyre at 2c then take it to somewhere hotter, when you measure the pressure at 25c you'll find its much higher.

Also, if you are flying out, pack your bike with flat tyres.
 Toby_W 06 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Don't pack your bike with flat tyres if you can avoid it. You no longer have to and have never needed to. Even if the plane went into space and the hold depressurised it's only one bar difference in pressure.

Cheers

Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...