UKC

Climbing Trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climber007 06 Jan 2013
Hello,

Although I've been going to the indoor wall for a couple of years, I am gradually progressing to climbing outdoors.

I'm looking for a pair of climbing trousers that are rugged enough for both indoor and outdoor use, that could possibly be used for walking/running and are therefore quick drying.

Any suggestions worth considering, please?

Cheers
 Joel Perkin 06 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: Buy yourself some decathlon softshell trousers. They are about £40, stretchy, drizzle proof and hard wearing. I was surprised by the quality (look around the forums and see other peoples opinion on them). Okay they probably aren't suitable for running but for walking and climbing I always have my pair on. I wear them mountaineering in hideous conditions, and suitable for winter conditions. I also know the Prana make some baggy stretchy climbing specific trousers. Hope this helps.
climber007 06 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: have a look at these

http://www.h18orr.com/products/boulder-pants

20% off too! I've been using them for a while now been great for indoors and outdoors, really rugged and hard wearing. Not ripped or been damaged at all after the abuse i've been giving them. A few other people are using too, good piece of kit.
 crombie 06 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: Ron Hills
 neuromancer 06 Jan 2013
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

£36 for a pair of cotton jogging trousers? Obscene!

The decathlon ones he's referring to can't be found without a direct link (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html ), but they are winter softshell mountaineering trousers (pretty good also) and so not suitable for doing much anywhere else as you'll be proper fookin hot like.

OP; If you must have a pair of hardwearing climbing trousers - I assume this is for spring and autumn outdoor trad climbing? (in the summer I can't see why you wouldn't be in shorts). I would suggest a pair of trackie bottoms that you already have. If you MUST buy something:

Montane's "Terra" trousers are pretty solidly great for a (VERY) hardwearing trouser. Super lightweight but not stretchy (unless you get a certain version). (ebay specials here!)

Rab's "Vapour Rise" trousers are like a lightweight windproof, weatherproof and slightly insulated version of what you'd think of as a classic tracksuit bottom, I love them for cold days outdoors with a t-shirt and a warm jacket for post/preclimb. (available on ebay all the time)

Decathlon do a similar to montane's terra pant (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-regular-trousers-id_8171845.html ), that is hardwearing and stretchy and wicking but not waterproof. These look pretty good (and do come in colours other than red. There's a slightly stretchier and more comfortable version with a water repellant coating for a bit more (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bionnassay-900-trousers-id_8225063.html ).

Those should be the kinda thing you're after.

Note I wouldn't like to run in particularly any of these apart from the vapour rises, and then even in the snow running in trousers is pretty toasty.

In reply to climber007: moon cyper or e9 montone pants but not expensive, similar construction and design etc. They are a little bit more than joggers...

In the summer shorts are the way forward.
 Durbs 07 Jan 2013

I've got a pair of Prana trousers (unhelpfully, I can't remember the exact model) which are ace for climbing in (stretchy, hard wearing) but thin and quick drying, so also make excellent walking trousers. Might be a little warm for running in though.

Think they cost around £40-60 though (they were a gift) - as to whether they're worth it? It's up to you.
You could equally spend £10 on 4 different trousers for each sport.
 GrahamD 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007:

For sheer versatility (especially if you throw running into the mix) you can't beat the classic Ron Hill tracksters. If you are after trousers, though, I tend to use Craghopper Kiwi trousers which you can often pick up for £20 in sales (bought some for £19.99 in TkMax last week)
 Ramblin dave 07 Jan 2013
> (In reply to climber007) moon cypher

I've got some of those - I've been doing my best to destroy them indoors and out for the last 3-4 years and they're still going strong. Not sure I'd want to walk or run long distances in them, though. Also the lack of a proper fly and the stupid drawstring waist are annoying.
 anaesthetic 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: I love my berghaus ortler trousers for climbing and walking (warm weather). They are stetchy where it matters, have vents and cinch at ankle. Field and trek has them on offer atm.
 1poundSOCKS 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: One thing to bear in mind, trousers (clothes in general actually) made from natural fibres like cotton provide far more friction than synthetics. Not so important for limestone sport climbing, but for trad climbing where you might be chimneying, sticking your leg or arm into a wide crack, it can make a big difference.
 Lee Sutcliffe 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007:
Another vote for the Montane's Terra trousers.. they take a lot of abuse and still going strong
readysalted 07 Jan 2013
I swear by Keela trousers. They're the only outdoor trousers I can find that fit a long leg, and have a really good stretch in them apart from craghoppers (which don't stretch and are I find are prone to ripping at the groin).

Not sure if they'd be great for indoor stuff, but some jogging bottoms would be fine for that I guess.

What ever happened to those crazy coloured climbing trousers people used to wear (typical 80s/ 90s). Really baggy, they looked so comfy. Don't see that many people wearing them now.
 Ramblin dave 07 Jan 2013
In reply to readysalted:
> craghoppers (which don't stretch and are I find are prone to ripping at the groin).

I've found that as well...
 Wingnut 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007:
Ronhills. :
In reply to Ramblin dave: stop groin rips by checking they have a diamond crotch - helps with your freedom to move around and stops that happening. Can be hard to find sometimes however.
 IanMcC 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007:
Aldi "Crane Sport" camping trousers £7.95. Seriously.
 loose overhang 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: I've found gezzer trousers found at your local thrift store to be the best for climbing. Get the double-knit blend of wool and polyester. They are warm, have good friction, often are baggy 'cause the last person to wear them was likely a bit large and best of all they are dirt cheap. Wear them out, get another pair. Get a suit and look really dashing out on the crags. Shorts can be worn as undies.

Andrew
 cha1n 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Durbs:
> (In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson)
>
> I've got a pair of Prana trousers (unhelpfully, I can't remember the exact model)

Most likely the Prana Zion Stretch Pant, excellent climbing and walking trousers.

bouldery bits 07 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007:

You have described Ronhills.

Unfortunately climbing specific thingies (moon, Praha, e9, etc...) are usually not great for running.
 EeeByGum 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Joel Perkin: Blimey - £40 for a pair of climbing trousers? You must be rich!

I just get a pair of £10 tracky bottoms or look in the bargain basement section for some cheapo outdoor style trousers. At the end of the day, they are going to get trashed one way or another so spending a lot just seems like a waste of money to me.
 CurlyStevo 08 Jan 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:
I spent £120 on some thick soft shell trousers I mostly used for climbing (but also walking), I used them every time I climbed outdoors until last year from when I bought them. I have had to sew them up a bit but 7.5 years on they are still going strong, so far they cost £16 a year - a bargain!
 CurlyStevo 08 Jan 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
yeah I just bought a pair of these
"http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-regular-trousers-id_8127872.html"

they seem well made and quite a bargain. I doubt I'll get much more than a few years out of them put that's fine as far as I'm concerned!
 James_86 08 Jan 2013
In reply to leeplastic:
> (In reply to climber007)
> Another vote for the Montane's Terra trousers.. they take a lot of abuse and still going strong

Make that a 3rd. The Montante Terra trousers are by far my favourite!! I use them all year round in most conditions. They are quick drying, lightweight and have zipped ventalation flap to keep you cool when its hot.

They are quite expensive but well worth the money.
 j.townley 08 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: Montane terra,s are the way forward. bombproof, had mine for three years ish and they get abused and you cant tell! and yes with all four vents open running in them is fine too!
 d_b 08 Jan 2013
In reply to j.townley:

Yeah, montane terras are good, though the zips are going in mine.

Troll omnis are another worth looking at. V light, windproof and bombproof.
 EeeByGum 10 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
> I spent £120 on some thick soft shell trousers I mostly used for climbing (but also walking), I used them every time I climbed outdoors until last year from when I bought them. I have had to sew them up a bit but 7.5 years on they are still going strong, so far they cost £16 a year - a bargain!

Nice - I could say the same about the £10 tracky bottoms I climb in. Except I haven't had to sow them up yet!
 Bloodfire 10 Jan 2013
In reply to climber007: I wanna get some Moon Cyphers but am also contemplating getting a cheap pair of combat style ones from a cheapo store somewhere.

I quite like climbing in 3/4's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...