UKC

oldest piece of clothing or gear you still use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 06 Jan 2013
What is the oldest piece of gear you own that you still use in your rack. Also have you got a vintage artical of clothing you still use. I have a number 2 friend I bought in the early 80,s I still use and I also have a pair of yellow with orange patch,s Troll trousers that I bought in 1984 I still use regulaly and are still in realy good nick. There like the one Big Ron made popular, being photographed on the first ascent of The Prow, wearing.
 wilkie14c 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett:
Not a very good offing I'm afraid but the oldest thing I use is the 5mm cord I use for my chalkbag, ot quite attactched to it now though, its 10+ years old. I do still have some old stuff I don't use but can't bear to get rid of though inc a scube, a tuber and a sprung stich plate and my Karrimor hot ice 30L sack. Boss sack that is, been on so many adventures together
 deepstar 06 Jan 2013
> What is the oldest piece of gear you own that you still use

I have a Karimor Pinnacle rucksack that I had for my 16th birthday,I`m 61 now.It is still going strong though it`s only used as a rope bag now.
 StuLade 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Have a Buffalo special 6 shirt my dad bought me when I went off to military college over 10 yrs ago, still use it a lot for hill walking and work.
 Doug 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: probably a ME Annapurna duvet bought for my first trip to the Alps in 1976, along with some Chouinard stoppers & hexes of similar vintage (although the rope has been changed several times on those)

Still have a Pinnacle sac which is even older but no longer usable & kept for sentimental reasons
 sjminfife 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I have had a couple of my MOACs for 34 years. I have swopped the rope a few times
SJM
 johncook 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Moacs, clog hex and spuds bought in 1967, and only replaced the sling on a regular basis. A Snowdon Mouldings Curver Axe that is still see regular winter use, although the pick is getteing a bit short after repeated sharpening. A pair of RD Super Pro boots, keep getting resoled but are so comfortable to wear it would be a shame to replace them. A pair of Troll Omni trousers bought in about 1982ish that are still going strong. (Just bragging that I can still wear trousers at 63 that I bought when I was 30ish!)
And yes I am a Yorkshireman who as per his origins, is too mean to spend more than is absolutely neccessary!
In reply to Russell Lovett: I was short on cash/gear when I started climbing and used my Dad's old Moac nuts. Not sure if the chord on them is very safe for purpose, might replace it and put them back into action.
 jimtitt 06 Jan 2013
Plenty of Chouinard karabiners from the early 70´s for racking cams/nuts. An original MOAC from the mid 60´s but that doesn´t get out so often.
 Alex Slipchuk 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: rohan super strider saloppettes. 20 years old well used and as new. Rocks and hexes on chord. Mountain technology technical axe.
 nniff 06 Jan 2013

Another ME Annapurna duvet - 1980

A big Ultimate down sleeping bag - also 1980. It got a professional wash this year!

Old Rocks on rope - 7,8 and 9 (wide ones as opposed to the new fangled slimmer versions). The 8 and 9 are permanent fixtures on my rack, the 7 having been usurped by a Chouinard 10. c.1980, with the Chouinard being c 1981. I'd be lost without them.

Some RPs - all circa 1981

A Choiunard No 3 and 4 stopper - 1979 - still placed, but have never been fallen on!
 Doug 06 Jan 2013
In reply to johncook: forgot my 'curver' axe, also Salewa 'bendy' crampons from mid 70s still used with walking boots

Thinking a little more, but not quite so old, still have the following n the cellar
Chouinard rigid crampons
Pair of 'terrors'
Simond 'Chacal' & Barracuda
Koflach Ultras

Paul F 06 Jan 2013

Berghaus Cyclops Roc, Karrimor Alpiniste 7 Rucksacks, HH pile jacket and a Trangia 25 from the early 80's.

Oh, and still have some lycra kicking about somewhere :0)
 Bulls Crack 06 Jan 2013

There'll be a wire or two on te rack that may be old but I don't hang on to things.

Clothing - Blue Buffalo 22 years young!
 cuppatea 06 Jan 2013

In daily use? A Petxl extender that's been my keyring since about 1990. Various lengths of ancient 9mm rope relegated to roof rack tie downs.

All my gear is around 20 years old..not sure how much I'd trust it nowadays.
 cuppatea 06 Jan 2013

...and for the proper old school out there a karrimor technical hot I think it's indestructible!
 Run_Ross_Run 06 Jan 2013

Karrimor Western Isles Fleece Pants.

They're about 20 yrs old and now 'MC Hammer' style but thy're the dogs for keeping warm around the house.
 TobyA 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: In regular use (although these days often whilst working on the bikes or doing gardening or snow shovelling - a Patagonia Snap T fleece, bought early in 91, so about 22 yrs old now. Value for money! For many years it was main fleece for everything.
 cragspud 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Still using a Karrimor Hot Ice sack and have a friend2 that I still use, not unusual except the axle is bolted on the ends.
In reply to jimtitt: hi jim, used to climb with tim dunsby at swanage when I statted climbing in the early 80,s he used to favour moac,s to. Know he still climbs wonder if he still favious them now. Suprised nobody has mentioned Ron Hills yet.
 ERU 06 Jan 2013
Buffalo Special 6 shirt <<< They really were THAT good! I've had it for 15 years plus. It was even my main warm layer whilst kayaking for a good 10 of them.
 didntcomelast 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett:I have a Rohan Olfio top from around 1986 which still gets worn though the cuffs are going now. There are a couple of small holes due to a hungry mouse once but a little thread sorted that. It still works in keeping me warm and comfortable and despite the faded colour is one of my favourites. it was the original soft shell in its day.
 Simon4 06 Jan 2013
> Suprised nobody has mentioned Ron Hills yet.

This thread is about old gear, they are completely contemporary.

Yet another one of the herd of Annapurna duvet jackets and another original, rigid-stemmed number 2 friend AND one of the old stich-plates still very much in use (but only for climbing walls). I actually sold a pair of chacal/baracuda to somebody here, along with a pair of original Rambo crampons, so they presumably still have them even if they haven't owned them from scratch.

Pennine 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Salewa bendy crampons, terrors, Chouinard short axe & Snowdon Mouldings curver axe (circa early 70s). Crampons & curver are still used for winter walking. Another true Yorkshireman who doesn't spend money
 boots 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Helly hanson salopetes.... must be at least 25 years old and still in use, mainly for under a drysuit while sea paddling or sailing, best not look at my climbing rack!!
 Boogs 06 Jan 2013

I've have and still use a bloody great big Chouinard size 4 Camalot . Its heavy but still works well . Also have a Karrimor Alps Lite 45 + 5 Rucksack that is around ten years old and still going strong it was dropped from over 60ft once fully laden and it just shrugged .

A fair of bit of old ( 15 yrs + ) Salomon Ski / Boarding gear .

And some kit from operation Granby (91) which is still used for camping and hiking .
 butteredfrog 06 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU:

I have a Special 6 shirt that I still use for caving, it must be 20yrs old now. It started off purple, but is now a blotchy pink.
 yer maw 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: From 1990 a Berghaus Cyclops fixed back rucksac, and a wild country quasar tent. Probably the two best bits of kit I've ever bought.
Rule of thumb: clothing gets torn and worn so no point paying good money on them.
 Ava Adore 06 Jan 2013

Nothing to do with climbing but I still have a leather biker's jacket which is about 22 years old now. And SO back in fashion.
 Doug 06 Jan 2013
In reply to yer maw: But the Quasar's my 'new' tent

Surely old must mean >25 years ?
 Phill Mitch 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett:I have an old rock 7, the old type threaded with rope. I found it on a route nearly 20 years ago so not sure how old it is? I have put new rope on it a few times, loathed to part with it as I use it so much. I love things with a story.
 Alex Slipchuk 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: forgot to say a wild country voyager tent (precurser to terra nova). Original and best
 Brass Nipples 07 Jan 2013

An orang karrimor bivvy bag from 74. I also have a karrimor ob 2 from 75. Bought off a schoolfriend for a £5

Os survey tourist map from around 58 that still shows the railways, used to be my dads.
 LastBoyScout 07 Jan 2013

I have lots of old gear I keep for sentimental value, but not much still in use.

Wall rucksack is still my ancient Berghaus Rock Star.
Sprung sticht plate and matching HMS possibly the oldest bits I actually use.

An old Polartec 200 fleece comes out occasionally
 kwoods 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Nothing nearly as mental as the old timers here.

But got my first proper rucksack - Lowe Alpine Walkabout 35 comig on ten years ago and still using it. 21 y o now so it's a decent proportion of my lifespan.
Slugain Howff 07 Jan 2013

I've still got a Robert Saunders Dalomite tent that gets the occasional outing.

I purchased it 35 years ago for my 18th birthday.

S
 yeti 07 Jan 2013

still use my first wild country harness, it's probably 13 years old....

have a podsac teardrop from before i started climbing probably 16 years and it's bomb proof

also still use my first bike jacket which is erm 35 years old

though thinking about it i still use the climbing shoes i bought off boris the brother in law for 20 quid (only used twice) back in 1999

another erm financialy careful yorkshireman
 Simon4 07 Jan 2013
In reply to yeti: So from all the responses, we now have definitive proof that a Yorkshireman is an Aberdonian with the generosity squeezed out?
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Got my Koflack Ultra's still and a pair of Asolo Canyon rock boots at mums and dads. My clothing tends to get battered and so have to replace regularly. Still got Wild Country Quasar which dad still used until quite recently so thats 25+ yrs old. Some of the old rocks on my rack must be getting onto 25yrs old but they still work and look safe so happy to use.
 Clarence 07 Jan 2013

I have a few bits still in use from the 80s - a Karrimor Jaguar S65 sack I got in 87, some tracksters I have had since 84-5 ish, a North Cape fibrepile jacket from about the same time (indestructible!) a pair of Scarpa Mantas that have had three resolings and probably date back to 87-8 and a set of hexes that were part of my very first rack back in 82-3 ish when I was a wee scout.
 Jim Nevill 07 Jan 2013
somewhere in the garage, covered in cobwebs are two McInnes teradactyls. It's been a while since I used them..!
 GrahamD 07 Jan 2013

Older stuff still in active use:

WC Pat Littlejohn harness 20years (my first, no padding so great for over loads of layers)
MT walking axe 22 years
Stubai articulated crampons 22 years
MT Vertige axe and hammer 17 years (OK I don't do a lot of winter climbing !)
MEC base layers and mid layers 15 years (light grey which is far more practical than dark colours)
North Cape fleece salopettes 17 years

I would have put in some Killy ski salopettes which were over 25 years old but they got binned last year !
 loose overhang 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Point Five Duvet, 1974. Purchased from Roger Turner Mountain Sports, Nottingham. It's a bit greasy.
 bouldery bits 07 Jan 2013

Berghaus A-Trek 65lt rucksack. Must be 10 years old now (I'm only 23). It's still boss.
 JJL 07 Jan 2013

One of my late father's drilled nuts on rope. I don't place it often but it reminds me of him teaching me to climb.
 bouldery bits 07 Jan 2013
In reply to bouldery bits:
> (In reply to Russell Lovett)
>
> Berghaus A-Trek 65lt rucksack. Must be 10 years old now (I'm only 23). It's still boss.

I also have a pair of pretex pile mitts that are older than 15 years. Forgot them!
 Goucho 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I've hoarded probably far too much old gear over the years, some examples are :-

1 pair Galibier Super Pro's
1 Pair Galibier Makalu's (triple boots that weigh slightly more than a truck)
1 pair Koflach Ultras
1 pair 'Terrors' axes
1 x original Chacal axe
1 Karrimor Joe Brown Sac, plus a Karrimor Augille Sac, and a Whillans Alpiniste.
1 ME Annapurna Duvet plus an ME Redline Duvet, and a Pied de Elephant half bag made by I think Point 5?
1 x ME Snowline sleeping bag
Helly Hansen Polar Pants
1 x pair of old EB's.
Whillans Harness.
Moac Original, plus an original set of Rocks and other assorted old gear from Clog, Simmond and Cassin.
1 x Think Pink T-Shirt
1 pair of molecord breeches!!!!
1 x Cassin wooden peg hammer
1 pair Salawa bendy crampons, plus 1 pair of Chouinard original 'rigid' crampons.

Most of the above are circa mid 70's, but I just can't bring myself to part with them - too many great memories
 Goucho 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Goucho: Oh, and also 2 pairs of Dachstein Mitts!!!
 Chris.Allott 07 Jan 2013
I still (occasionally) use a pair of '91 aces..now on their 3rd resole.
My chalkbag is a bucket of a thing.. bought in late 80's.
On special occasions I wear a wild country "Shapes of Things to Cam" T shirt -bought for me as a Christmas present back in the late 70's..along with a WC solid stem friend 2 with the nut ends...still on the rack and on numerous tape rethreads..
I still regularly wear a ME fleece bought in '91..the zip pocket broke after about 2 weeks..and it's still broke..I'm still waiting for the replacement the shop promised!
I have a engineering nut on swaged wire I made in 1974.. always carry it..never used it again!
and my bouldering mat is a 80's Robinsons beer towel. ( OK it's a replacement - last one in a pack of 6 I was given!)
To be honest I don't think anything on my rack is under 10 yrs old!
 BMrider 07 Jan 2013
I still use my Karrimor Annapurna IV Rucksac regularly - bought in '81. Yes, yes, I know it's an external frame, but you can slip off the sack, and lash stuff onto the frame (eg: a motorcycle wheel - it's a long story....). The quality of construction from then is still hard to match today.
A handful of '80's Hexentrics, and my Clog wales stitch-plate does the job fine - '87.
Glad to know I'm not the only one with a drilled nut still in my kit.
My Troll harness (well cared-for) still gives good service, and finally still love my Ultimate Phaser-Dome tent 1980.
 Simon4 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Goucho:

> 1 ME Annapurna Duvet

Lets make this simpler, can anyone who DOESN'T have an Annapurna duvet say so.

alasdair19 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: still in use

my dads old karrimor alpinist a reasonable enough crag sac,
lovely fluffy now 11 year old polartec 200 fleece

storage late mother in laws EBs which she got just before she had kids so didn't manage to use much.
 AndyP 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: You can bank on it on UKC...hardly a week goes by without multiple mentions of the momentous MOAC. I've got two - one of them from my original rack in 1990. I've also got my original Berghaus Cyclops Roc pack from circa 1987. Ahh, when I were a lad...
 Muel 07 Jan 2013

A Peck nut, from the around 1962 according to this page:

http://www.needlesports.com/NeedleSports/nutsmuseum/nutsstory.htm

Here's a picture:

http://www.needlesports.com/NeedleSports/nutsmuseum/art/crackerxs.jpg

Used it a few times, because of the shallow depth there are a few places it will go where my wallnuts won't.
In reply to BMrider: the old phaser dome, I had one of them and would still be using it now only the mice in my garage put pay to it a couple of years ago.
In reply to GrahamD: a pat littlejohn harness. My mate had one of them when we first started climbing. Looked good but taking his first ever fall it nearly cut off his boll**ks. He gave up climbing just after thatciting that one day he wanted to have children as the reason.
 FB 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: a costworld rucksac with the old tent logo on. which i got as a present from my parents to take to scout camp in 1987. I was still using until retired from active service last year but still use for storing kit and as a kit bag in hostels etc
 BigHairyIan 07 Jan 2013
Last year I threw out my Berghaus AB 85. Bought it when I was 15, 30 years ago! I broke the shoulder tension strap hauling it it up to run.after a bus that didn't stop at the stop! Bugger!
In reply to Russell Lovett: Buffalo Special 6, bought in 1994, and still going strong.
 Mike C 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Doug:
Hey Doug, are we twins?
I have a late 70s ME Annapurna duvet, Pinnacle rucksack, Salewa crampons, Terror hammer & several other similar items. Spooky.
 Mike C 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike C:
Curver & Koflach Ultras too.
 Clarence 08 Jan 2013

Had a look in the wardrobe last night and I still have at least three or four fleeces from before the Malden Mills factory burnt down. Modern fleece seems to be much less hardwearing and pills like mad, my old Polartec jackets seem to have gone slightly fluffy but not really matted down or pilled like the jacket I bought in April.
 David Ponting 08 Jan 2013

I don't know if I can really join in the discussion - I'm younger than some of the "oldest pieces of gear" listed, but I still own and use the very first piece of specifically outdoor* kit/clothing, other than a pair of walking boots, that I owned - a non-descript green jumper from a market stall, rather large for me when I was 12, but it's still in my pack every trip 14 years later!

*Yes, I had been hillwalking with the parents before then, but it was always my everyday mucky clothes and cagoule that I used.
 Darron 08 Jan 2013

My 1979 Haston Alpiniste sack is no longer used but the closed cell foam back piece gets used every week as a sit mat when I'm eating my butties!
 Stopsy 08 Jan 2013
Using my parents Winter Gear 2man tent which must be getting on for 30 years old now, and similarly my dads dachstein mitts which are still the warmest gloves I've had to date which are also about 30 years young, making their combined ages 3 times my age!
Jim at Work 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Stopsy:
Gave my dachsteins away recently to a deserving cause, and lost all my old nuts (incl. pecks) when the car was stolen. Probably did me a favour in some respects, still have too many old runners.
grubus 08 Jan 2013
Still in use:
Christmas tree decorations kept in Robert Lawrie (qv) box that held my first proper climbing boots:1964
Dachsteins found on Great End 1968 Darned repeatedly: Backup gloves for skiing
Deadman and ice-screws from about 1969. Carried more than they're used!
ME duvet ?Redline? 1967 Just used for stargazing now.
ME thin fleece shirts 1979:used all the time: climb, ski, walk, garden
Original MOAC (more curved than newer ones)...probably 1968
Stubai Peg Hammer 1969 Still used for rock gardening (in the garden, that is!)
ME Green Dragon Sleeping Bag... perhaps 1977. Needs a fleece liner these days!

As for older kit that sits in the loft... wrought iron crampons, wood-shafted axes, steel crabs, pegs, can't bear to throw them out.
In reply to Russell Lovett: I've got most of the nuts I bought back in 1985; they're about the oldest things on the rack. Other than that, the oldest things are a Camera Care Systems case of a similar vintage that holds a compact camera on a rucksack hipbelt, and a Mountain Equipment ultrafleece alpine jacket that's about twenty years old and is my first choice for hill days.

T.
 tallsteve 08 Jan 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
I have an original MOACS bought in the 80s second hand for my first rack. Mountains were designed around MOACS. It gets out more now as I split the rack so my son has a rack. I have 3 MOACS and they are definitely on the top of my favourite gear list.
 JDal 08 Jan 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

Got a mid 60'd MOAC I've had since new. It's irreplaceable and by miles my favourite bit of pro. Also one of those tiny Troll wired wedges from the same vintage, although I carry it for luck really. It's called Arthur.
 HappyTrundler 08 Jan 2013

Nothing better than a solid MOAC placement! There is a perfect placement on Peril, at Avon Gorge, although I have to admit I only ever get it out of it's display cabinet when I do that route!...
In reply to Russell Lovett: christ I was not expecting so many replys, but looking a them all its easy to see why so many climbing/walking shops go out of buisness. Basicly were are a bunch of tight old gits or is it bracuse we become emotionaly attached to all the stuff we put our trust in to save our lifes or it could be that it is just we dont want to throw away al the stuff attachef to such great momories.
 Michael Ryan 08 Jan 2013

17 year old Kinnoloa Ground Zero Rope bag and tarp.
 Joe G 08 Jan 2013
I just dug out my 22 year old harness which I'll be using tomorrow night... seemed only fair that if I'm loaning someone a harness it should be my new (15 year old) one.

I regularly use a wooden shafted ice axe but I don't know how old it is... I found it on a hill a few years back.
 Michael Hood 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: No it's because we're all ecologically minded and don't want resources spent on creating kit that basically replaces working stuff we already have (removes tongue from cheek)
 Only a hill 08 Jan 2013
The oldest bit of kit I use is an ice axe with a pick unit that dates back to the 1930s (I fitted a new shaft in 2010). Still in perfectly good condition!
 Simon4 08 Jan 2013
In reply to David Ponting:

> I don't know if I can really join in the discussion - I'm younger than some of the "oldest pieces of gear" listed

One of my more innocent ammusments at a climbing wall, when climbing with one of the sorts of stripplings and upstart children found there is when their eyes widen with horror at the sight of my belay device (a classic Sticht plate of course, handles the wall ropes brilliantly).

"Don't stare" I tell them "Treat it with the respect it is due - it is older than you are!"
 Sam Marks 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: My friends harness is an old whillans we bought down the car boot a few months back. Couldn't tell you how old it is, pretty old though...
 dek 08 Jan 2013
Chouinard Alpine Hammer.
Pair of Forrest Serac Sabre axes (greet for dinner plating the ice!)
Lowe Latok Goretex jacket, bombproof, possibly not rainproof though!
Helly fibre pile sallies and trsrs, still good under waterproofs!
Wintergear, or was it Snowdon Moulding, Goretex/pile mitts superb!
A sticht plate, that comes up looking new after a polish with steel wool.
BD black prophet, carbon fibre ice hammer, a lovely ice tool.
A few Chouinard ice screws, and Lowe Snargs of god knows what vintage!
 Lump 09 Jan 2013
In reply to dek: I'm glad it's not just me then. Whenver I see an exhibit from the Mountain Heritage folks it reminds me of the boot of my car. I'm still running some early Friends (late '80s but with replaced slings), Karrimor Hot Rock Freestyle (the lairy rainbow one,newer sacks have appeared but still get left at home as too new), early POD Black Ice (circa 93-94, been kicked all over South America and off several cliffs), Wild Country Extremities sticky thicky gloves (finger tips have been lost over the years. The Koflach Vivas have given up the ghost this year but the Stubai Nanga Parbat still does sterling work as an emergency walking axe/sitting in the car boot in the winter to dig the car off icy roads. Plenty more I'm sure but I'm starting to worry about the cost of replacing my rack.
Removed User 09 Jan 2013

I have a pair of Helly Hansen long Johns from 1985 which are still in good condition and Berghaus Rucksac from 1985 also.

gd303uk 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I still have and wear some berghaus acl tops and bottoms, must be about 25 years old , And a pull over goretex I got in the late eighties a few holes but my go to coat if it is a dirty day, I have kept in good condition an old trango extreme, it would still be a good coat today but is a little baggy compared to modern jackets.
My old scarpa mantas are still going strong also, the hs12 leather is a bit battered but still a functional boot. All must be 25years plus old.
The fact a lot of my kit lasts is probably down to me being a mark/mug when it comes to outdoor kit and I replace a lot of kit when there is nothing much wrong with it.

Howard J 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I've a fair bit of antique gear in the loft but not much of it gets used these days. However there's a 1970s pair of Dachsteins which I carry as spare gloves.

I've just resurrected my strap-on Salewa crampons (c1974) for those days when I might encounter a bit of ice but don't want to walk around all day in B2 boots just on the off-chance. I retired them a few years ago when I realised they were older than my climbing partner (about the same time that I retired my wooden ice axe).
Removed User 09 Jan 2013

I've got a late 1960's MOAC chock on rope. Hopefully the rope is not as old as the chock.
Giz 09 Jan 2013
I've got a berghaus cyclops 80l(ish?) rucksac - belonged to a mate and he gave it to me. 1970s/early 80s vintage?? It's been round the world which is further then I have!
 AndyC 09 Jan 2013

Still using a Silva compass-clinometer bought at the start of my geology course in 1979. Sadly, just binned my Vango Force 10 Mk 2 from ca. 1974 - it hadn't been out for a while. My ME Lightline down bag from '85 is still handy for dossing on people's floors.
 gd303uk 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I still have and use now and again a north face dream weaver sleeping bag, from the eighties, going strong, I have had a few bags since then but the dream weaver has outlasted all of them, it is too warm for most trips.

And gear wise I recently got rid of a lot of old kit moacs, clogg wedges , first gen wildcountry, cams etc, but still use an old set of rp,s , wild country stones, ( not too fussed on the stones though the metal is very hard
 veryhappybunny 13 Jan 2013
I wear two 20 year old pairs of power stretch leggings. They are however heavily darned and have been patched using a power stretch top I cannibalised. They are very comfy and quite warm. I am a bit worried the material is getting too thin to patch in places but do love to wind my walking companions up by still wearing them."you really should get new trousers" &#128522;
 Rich Mayfield 13 Jan 2013
An old Spectrum bandolier I think was a Xmas pressy from 82. Rated to 2000kg but don't think I'll test it other than storeing my rack!
 turnerk 13 Jan 2013
My chalk bag was made out of an old jeans pocket with some three core electrical cable along the top to keep it open..... back in 1976. Some dead mans kit from a similar time and a pair of 9mm ropes that I should retire really. But am unlikely to be falling on them soon. Now 52
 Ridge 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Darron:
>
> My 1979 Haston Alpiniste sack is no longer used but the closed cell foam back piece gets used every week as a sit mat when I'm eating my butties!

I've got the Haston Vallot of similar vintage, nice bit of kit.
Removed User 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I have loads of gear from 1964 Willans harness cocks from Denny Holands factory in wales pegs PAs you name I have it Have a full duvet suit of Point five brand new dateing to 1970. alas I dont use any of it now.
 Chris.Allott 13 Jan 2013
Having now thought about it some more...I now realise that the oldest bit of gear I have is a 59 yr old belay device - called Eric!
 Crank 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed Usercerro
...loads of gear from 1964 Willans harness cocks from Denny Holands factory in wales.....

Whillans harnesses were not available in 1964.
Cocks? Denny Hollands? Perhaps Clogs from Denny Moorhouse?
wildmanwildhouse 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Parba,H,Section I still use occasionally,its brilliant on grit, bought it from tankies shop in sheffield sometime in 1969.
 oldie 13 Jan 2013
I'm still using regularly Moac nuts,have original No.3 Friend,occasionally carry soft steel Cassin pegs, and Peck stainless steel pegs. Also Classic Salewa crampons and Chouinard-fFost laminated bamboo axe for general use.
 scottie390 13 Jan 2013
28yr old hands
stevekain 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon4:
> [...]
>
> This thread is about old gear, they are completely contemporary.
>
Not really. First made in 1972:
http://www.ronhill.com/our-history/
 drpetermorgan 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I have a ME SNOWLINE sleeping bag from 1975, still in use and has seen service in Patagonia and Peru and is not greasy and still quite toasty. My wife still uses a pair of original PA's bought about 1976 while my friend Ian still uses his Whillans harness from the mid 70's, he bought it to replace his hemp waistline, which he still has.
 Sherlock 14 Jan 2013
Currently resting in garden shed but most definately NOT used anymore 2x hemp waist lengths and 1 original figure of 8,the old thick wire type,if anyone remembers?
 oldie 14 Jan 2013
In reply to oldie:
Forgot still always carry several old wedges (Spuds...Clog/Troll I believe) on my bandolier. Because they have a single horizontal hole they don't interfere with its use as a sling and come in handy if I've used all my gear on a pitch and need something for a belay.
Also loft full of old gear inc. hemp waistband, Davek sit harness (pre the Whillans harness)and hawser-laid rope and walking axe 2nd world war surplus.
 Tricky Dicky 17 Jan 2013
In reply to oldie:
> (In reply to oldie)
> 2nd world war surplus.

I've still got some ex - War Department steel karabiners, reportedly used by commandos for D-day training. They still work, even if they are a little heavier than modern ones!!

In reply to oldie:
> Also Classic Salewa crampons and Chouinard-fFost laminated bamboo axe for general use.

Unfortunately, I snapped the pick on a Chouinard-Frost - gutted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...