UKC

Glencoe/Mamores/Nevis conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ridgback 06 Jan 2013
Off to Scotland for a few days on Tuesday. Staying in Ballaculish, anyone know what the conditions are like? Any snow about, been told not to bother with Crampons and axes but will be taking them and living in hope.
 aldo56 06 Jan 2013
In reply to ridgback: Went up Sron Na Larig on Friday, almost all the snow was gone bar a big cornice at the top.
 JohnnyW 06 Jan 2013
In reply to ridgback:

We did Broad Gully in SCNL on Sat, but it was all disappearing fast. Today's rain and warmth won't help. Did one of the Ballachulish munros today, no need for any ice equipment at all
 Jamie B 06 Jan 2013
In reply to ridgback:

It's going to get a little colder from Wednesday, but remains to be seen when and how much snow will come. I'd take the winter kit.
 KA 06 Jan 2013
In reply to ridgback: There is still snow lying in most of the easier gullies on the higher peaks, but ridges and buttress are pretty bare. There are a few pictures on my blog from the past two days, Saturday was on Ledge Route (and down No.4 Gully) on the Ben and today from Curved Ridge in Glencoe, which was a rocky scramble all the way and then a short snow gully to reach the summit.
http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/blog/
ridgback 06 Jan 2013
Thanks for the replies folks, will just have to take what comes. The winter kit will be going just in case.
In reply to ridgback:

We were up on Nevis yesterday. Only really the large easy gullies looked complete (we saw No's 2,3,4 & 5). The snowpack starts just short of where the climbs start.

We ended up going for no 2 gully as it lookes the best; but I'm sure grade II gullies don't usually have a bergscrund or crevaces? Although the snowpack was generally nice and solid and minimal snow/rock fall, the ice falls were running with water and it was raining on the summit. It wouldnt surprise me if the cornice collased last night as it looked fairly cracked up?

It's already been said though, it's getting colder midweek (hopefully), so the damp snow might consolidate really nicely? Good luck with it!
 CurlyStevo 07 Jan 2013
In reply to waiting for snow:
sounds like unless your thing is grade I (and the odd II) gullies it's back to square one.

Some of the harder mixed climbers may be quite happy to hear this once we get a freeze, some rime and a dusting of snow though!
 Jamie B 07 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It's going to be like early-season all over again, with the familiar waiting game for frozen turf, build-up and consolidation. Easy gullies should come back into good condition pretty quickly though.
 Andy Nisbet 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

The turf should freeze quicker than in the autumn now the ground is cooler.
In reply to Andy Nisbet: And it's wet enough that it should be solid and hold together nicely once frozen....
 scottie390 09 Jan 2013
Ben Nevis Conditions this morning

http://daviescott.blogspot.co.uk/
 JohnnyW 09 Jan 2013
In reply to scottie390:

Erg.

Trying to decide whether to go East or West this weekend if the lower temps do materialise. I was on Broad Gully on Sun, and I hoped something would have survivied on the Ben, particularly the easier gullies.
 MadProfessor 09 Jan 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: see:ht... #depressing
 JohnnyW 09 Jan 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

That's kind of what I thought after the weekend just gone. Ach, it'll be worth a punt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...