UKC

Climbing in Iran

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 livermor 07 Jan 2013
I would like to head out to Iran to do some sport climbing this year. Has anyone been there or know of any good guidebooks? Has anyone been there lately?

I think flying to Teheran would be the easiest, and get around from there. The weather and climbing conditions I have no idea about?

Hope to get some tips!
tomhaegler 08 Jan 2013
In reply to livermor:

I've been there - theres some climbing/bouldering north of teheran (you can leave your hotel in the morning and be back in the eveneing). it's called darband. i ran into many climbers / blouderers - all very friendly (like everybody in iran) and wanting to climb/belay. I even could use their shoes etc.

then there's a big multipitch in the north - where the annual climbing festival takes place. there a good report with routes (and probably contact names) in VERTICAL MAGAZINE - download the app http://www.vertical-magazine.com/version-ipad-iphone and check the back issues...I forgot which issue. worth reading!

I'm planning to go back this year...such a good place. In case you've never been there...I made a video..to give you some impressions: vimeo.com/12235829
 henwardian 08 Jan 2013
In reply to livermor: Assuming this isn't a troll (which seems pretty likely it is):
Tip: Check the foreign office travel advice before going.
Tip: Brush up on your Swedish.
 Rock Badger 08 Jan 2013
In reply to livermor: bolts in iran,,,,id bolt see ya,
 Rock Badger 08 Jan 2013
In reply to livermor: right enough thier does seem to be some sport routes outside tehran, just saw on you tube
tomhaegler 18 Jan 2013
I've been there. The area is called Darbad. Met many climbers - all of them were super nice and offering to use their ropes/harnesses shoes etc. Love to go again...
 peas65 18 Jan 2013
In reply to livermor:

The climbing in Iran is ace, i just can't remember where we went at all, spent a month there doing various stuff. Its super hot though depending when you go. We were there in July (thats why it was hot!)

We went to some awesome place in the middle of the desert with 6 pitch bolted routes,
 Kimono 18 Jan 2013
In reply to henwardian:
> (In reply to livermor) Assuming this isn't a troll (which seems pretty likely it is):
> Tip: Check the foreign office travel advice before going.
> Tip: Brush up on your Swedish.

why would it be a troll? because someone has suggested going to a country that contains <argh> muslims??

or am i missing something here?

I imagine Iran is a fascinating country to travel in...good luck

Removed User 18 Jan 2013
In reply to livermor:

You could send Parsa on here a PM. He is Iranian and is always helpful. If you go, send me a PM and I'll give you a contact for a friend of mine who lives north of Tehran. He isn't a climber but he's a great guy and may be good for general travel advice.
 Jonny2vests 18 Jan 2013
In reply to henwardian:
> (In reply to livermor) Assuming this isn't a troll (which seems pretty likely it is):

I'd love to go, heard great things.

> Tip: Check the foreign office travel advice before going.

Top tip! I bet he hadn't thought of that.
Talius Brute 18 Jan 2013
In reply to livermor:

I went to Iran in September to do Damavand. Not climbing as such, so no idea about where is best. They have a national mountaineering council or association who run some climbing walls though who might be able to help you.

Getting a visa isn't straightforward - we've closed their embassy and they ours, so you need to go to France or Dublin, costs a fair bit as well. Other than that, keep away from the Basijis and watch out for Israeli war planes etc.

Great place to visit, amazing people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...