UKC

NEWS: Daniel Woods Repeats Witness The Fitness & More

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Jan 2013
Paul Robinson on The new wood grain grippin', 8B+, HCR, Arkansas, 3 kbDaniel Woods, Paul Robinson and Jimmy Webb paid a quick visit to sandstone bouldering area at the Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas, USA, resulting in some newsworthy ascents.
The goal of the trip was to try and repeat Chris Sharma's ~12m roof boulder Witness the fitness, ~8C. The problem, which...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67722
 Brendan 07 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Not sure about people re-naming a problem after a hold breaks.

Great vid of Sharma!
 owensum 07 Jan 2013
 Jonny2vests 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Brendan:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Not sure about people re-naming a problem after a hold breaks.
>

Erm, I can't see where it says that.

Brendan 08 Jan 2013
In reply to jonny2vests: Huh? Here:

Then, Paul made the first ascent of The new wood grain grippin' after a significant break at the crux. Now, the problem, which used to be ~8B+ is... still ~8B+, but hard for the grade.
 AJM 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Brendan:

Where does that say the name changed? He made the first ascent of the problem after a hold had broken. The "first post-holdbreak ascent" if you will. It's still got the same name, it's just now got a revised estimate of its grade...
 Styx 08 Jan 2013
The wording in the article is confusing, but 'wood grain grippin' is a different problem entirely where they also broke holds.

'Wood grain grippin' was originally 8B+ and remains so (just a bit more nails than it used to be) and 'Witness the fitness' was and still is 8C but with very different beta.
 Brendan 08 Jan 2013
In reply to AJM:

Maybe I'm being pedantic.

I think it would be better to call it the first repeat of Wood Grain Grippin' since a hold broke, rather than a first ascent of The New Wood Grain Grippin'.

simes303 08 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

"James Webb is sponsored by: prAna, Sterling Rope, Tennessee Bouldering Authority, Five Ten, Organic and Metolius."

And NASA:

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...