UKC

Anything left to climb on Aonach Mor East face?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tsarted 07 Jan 2013
What is the likelihood of anything about grade II having survived the thaw on Aonach Mor East face? Right Twin, Forgotten Twin etc? I'm looking at later this week after the re-feeze.

Can anyone give me an educated guess please?
 KA 07 Jan 2013
In reply to tsarted: Quite possible, as Number 2 Gully on Ben Nevis is still complete.
 Jim Haydock 09 Jan 2013
In reply to tsarted: the recent SAIS website showed photos of the exit cornice of left twin and it looked like there was loads of snow on it.
Check it out, sure there'll be some left
JH.
 baileyswalk 10 Jan 2013
In reply to tsarted:

If anyone makes it up over the next couple of days would be interested to hear what it was like.
 James Thacker 10 Jan 2013
In reply to baileyswalk: I would be very surprised if they weren't holding snow.
In reply to tsarted: just been up Gendarme Ridge - west face - the turf is starting to freeze at about 950 & there is some Ice forming. Looking at the east face on the way back, there are still some large cornices with slump fractures present. There looks to be lots of snow in the gullies but the buttresses are black( not surprising) where the sun has hit but in shelter there icicles forming near the top. Note that the snow is iron hard which makes for great placements. I'll post some pics later.
Removed User 11 Jan 2013
In reply to tsarted:
Yes, was there today.
Piccies here: http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/blog/ice-aonach-mor/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...