UKC

Selling a car for spares on eBay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 08 Jan 2013
The timing belt went on my car and due to the speed and lack of money on my part I'm going to cancel the insurance and tax and then get rid of the car.

It's a 2001 renault clio in very good condition (apart from the obvious).

I can get £120ish for the car in scrap.

It's got 11 months MOT, had all the breaks replaced a year ago and had 4 new tyres at the same time.

Is it worth ebaying for spares/repairs? Had a little look and prices vary according to damage. Am I likely to get £150+ for such a car (to take into account the £30 of fees) or should I just scrap it?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers
 crustypunkuk 08 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch:
You could break it and sell all the parts individually, but it'll take forever and may end up being a royal PITA in the meantime. Add to that all the chancers that'll arse you about as per the ebay norm these days, and you have to ask if it's worth it.
Do you have somewhere on private land to keep the car/ carcass of it while it breaks?
If you can put up with all that, then you'll easily make a fair bit more than you would from scrap.
Alternatively, why not burn it out and claim on the insurance?
 Dax H 08 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: If you want the best price fir it break it down and sell the spares, if the tyres are still good you should see £20 to £30 each,
even though the engine is shot it has a starter motor, alternator, ecu, fuel pump, water pump, radiator, electric door locks, doors, cv joints, break calipers and discs.
Its a bit of hassle and will take a while but I think £400 would not be out of the question and a local scrap man will take whats left.
OP James Malloch 08 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: The car's currently in a garage but I'm not sure how long it can stay there so breaking it up over time might not be the best option unfortunately.

I thought of putting it on as a whole car starting at what I could get in scrap for it prehaps, but it seems a bit hit and miss as to whether it's worth doing or not.
 dan_the_dingo 08 Jan 2013

If it was me, I'd throw it to eBay and see what happened. But it depends how much you are prepared to gamble.

A few years ago I had a slightly older polo with no second gear, which I put on eBay hoping to get maybe £150-200 (it was capable of being driven away mind) and ended up with a little shy of £400 for it.

If the car is in Sheffield then there is a sizeable chunk of population within reasonable distance which would work in your favour rather than being in the north wrat highlands, but it is a punt.
 Cheese Monkey 08 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: Put it on for 120 start and see what happens
 colina 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey:unless you've got loads of room youll get £100 + scrap get it off your drive and cut your losses.although like someone said you could take the alternator and starter off if you can be bothered .u may get an extra £60 in time.gd luck
 gethin_allen 09 Jan 2013
In reply to colina:
I'd go with that, Take off the obviously high value parts that you can shift easily like the starter, alternator, coils and HT leads etcthen call the scrap man.
 Wainers44 09 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: I wouldnt hold out too much hope with Fleabay.

We advertised my late father in laws car recently and got practically no response. Its an old H Reg Ford Sierra 2.0L ghia, in great nick for its age, running very sweetly, but out of MOT now. We got one offer of £200 if we delivered it (to Preston or Paris or Patagonia or somewhere). Waste of time and money.

I got rid of an old minibus just before christmas for the Scout Group. Scrap dealers - waste of time. I was directed to a small garage/car repairer who gave me double what the best scrappy told me. Worth trying a few of these guys, you never know.

Anyone want to buy a practically vintage Ford Sierra?
 EeeByGum 09 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: I have sold several beaten up cars in the local paper for spares and repairs. Certainly much easier than eBay. You just ring the paper up, pay about £10 and on the morning the paper comes out you get a dozen calls and whoever turns up first usually doles out the cash.
 sianabanana 09 Jan 2013
Even easier, put it on gumtree - free to list.

I put a MOT failure on there - just wanted someone to take it off my hands so I didn't have to arrange to scrap it.

I had people biting my arm off. And got £50 for it. Which i was really surprised as it was full of rust, had done a million miles and very tired inside.

I try not to bother with Ebay these days, especially for stuff like this. You get non locals just wasting your time.
 EeeByGum 09 Jan 2013
In reply to sianabanana:

> I had people biting my arm off. And got £50 for it. Which i was really surprised as it was full of rust, had done a million miles and very tired inside.

You were done. The OP has been offered £120 scrap!
 colina 09 Jan 2013
In reply to sianabanana: easy to scrap a car these days .look in the local rag for scrap vehicle dismantlers.
whatever they offer you ask 4 a little more and hey presto its picked up cash in hand .minimum of £100 for any model at the moment
 Jaffacake 09 Jan 2013

I don't know about the car in question but when my old focus broke (fuel pump) and was deemed too expensive to repair I was estimated £150 for scrap and sold it on ebay for over £500, despite my very honest description including how every panel was damaged and a foot-long list of everything else wrong with it.

I'd be a lot more inclined to go the ebay route, you could try looking at completed listings for similar things and see how they went?
Ferret 09 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: Why not go with Gumtree as attempt 1. Its free and local and you can put up plenty of detail so people know what they are getting. Nothing lost if it fails.
Then if that fails, consider ebay as a £30 bet that you can get more than scrapman gives or don't take the gamble and scrap it.
If scrapping it consider doing as others have said - removing smaller, more expensive items first to sell on ebay, doing so will make little diff to what scrapman gives.
 sianabanana 09 Jan 2013
In reply to sianabanana:
At the time, the quotes from the scrappies was for me to pay £50 to get rid of it. it didnt wasnt in good nick so 50 was more than i was expecting.

was a few years ago now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...