UKC

Are the US interfering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 09 Jan 2013
Whether or not anyone in this country supports the UK being "in" Europe, this a case of the US interfering in the affairs of another sovereign nation:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/36314b08-5a70-11e2-bc93-00144feab49a.html

If the UK government decides to hold a referendum then that is the business of the UK and not the US; if, as a result of that result of that referendum the UK "leaves" Europe then the US will have to accept it.

My own view is that it's none of their business; if it adversly affects their standing with Europe then so what?
ice.solo 09 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

bruce!!! youre numbers being called!!!!
OP mypyrex 09 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> bruce!!! youre numbers being called!!!!

Oh no, what have I done?

ice.solo 09 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

no no, its a good thing! ring side seats where you get to see bruce and toby spill blood.

you know, over at economist.com you gotta pay for this stuff!
 pneame 09 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
But isn't the UK a US lackey ever since the days of Bliar? Apart from being the only country in the EU that speaks an approximation of American English?
KevinD 09 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

> My own view is that it's none of their business; if it adversly affects their standing with Europe then so what?

because its their job to try and avoid that?
So long as they keep to speeches i cant see the problem. Its when they start funding dubious elements it becomes an issue.
OP mypyrex 10 Jan 2013
In reply to pneame: > (In reply to mypyrex)
> But isn't the UK a US lackey ever since the days of Bliar?

Sadly true. In whose favour does the so called special relationship usually work?
 Cuthbert 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> Oh no, what have I done?

You've started another pointless argument based upon your quaint and slightly right wing view of the world which follows your conservative outlook.

Yes they are interfering. That would appear to be the most obvious answer.
 Banned User 77 10 Jan 2013
In reply to pneame:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> But isn't the UK a US lackey ever since the days of Bliar? Apart from being the only country in the EU that speaks an approximation of American English?

This is the greatest misconception of Blair.. he more than stood up to the US.. in fact he almost forced their involvement in Kosovo.. he was very very much his own man.
 Fraser 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

> My own view is that it's none of their business;

Correct, that's your view and you're entitled to express it.

In reply to pneame:

> Apart from being the only country in the EU that speaks an approximation of American English?

Ummm, need I point out the blindingly obvious here?

Kid Spatula 10 Jan 2013
In reply to pneame:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> But isn't the UK a US lackey ever since the days of Bliar? Apart from being the only country in the EU that speaks an approximation of American English?

Since the days of Blair? I think you mean since the days of the second world war mate.

OP mypyrex 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: Notwithstanding that you seem to have an issue with those whose opinions differ from you own, does it not bother you that the US might be seen to be interfering in the affairs of another nation?
Removed User 10 Jan 2013
In reply to pneame:
> (In reply to mypyrex)

Ah yes! They want us to be strong in the EU so that they can get us Limeys to talk all that foreign speak to the rest of the Yoorpeens.

In answer to the original question, I'm suprised it's become public but this is the sort of discussion that countries have all the time between each other, it's called diplomacy. Would you expect the US to say nothing to the UK government about Yoorup and their view of our involvement with it?
 EeeByGum 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to Saor Alba) Notwithstanding that you seem to have an issue with those whose opinions differ from you own, does it not bother you that the US might be seen to be interfering in the affairs of another nation?

Since when did the US, UK, China, Japan and practically every other powerhouse economy in the world not interfere (as you put it) in the affairs of every other nation.

If nation A proposes to do something that affects Nation B, are you saying that Nation B should just standby quietly and say nothing... like we don't?
 MG 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to Saor Alba) Notwithstanding that you seem to have an issue with those whose opinions differ from you own, does it not bother you that the US might be seen to be interfering in the affairs of another nation?

How is it interfering? It (or an official) has made a comment about the US's view. Our government does quite a lot of this about other countries too, you know.

Cuthbert 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I think it's quite funny how you seem to be the Daily Mail on two legs. Do you sell beige trousers also?

I bet you if they said the UK should get out you'd be singing their praises.

Do you think in or out for UK in the EU?
OP mypyrex 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: This is not about my views of this country's membership of the EU. Read the title. The only comment I will make is that Cameron should give us the referendum which he and other politicians have promised in the past and then abide by the results. The US seem to be saying that we should not be given that opportunity.
 Sir Chasm 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to Saor Alba) This is not about my views of this country's membership of the EU. Read the title. The only comment I will make is that Cameron should give us the referendum which he and other politicians have promised in the past and then abide by the results. The US seem to be saying that we should not be given that opportunity.

No they're not, they're giving their view that the uk (and by extension the us) would be better served by being in the eu.
 Sir Chasm 10 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex: And in case you missed it, Germany recently said pretty much the same.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...