UKC

Cheap one-day travel insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 10 Jan 2013
For Christmas I was given a day-trip to Bruges. It now turns out that the travel company this is booked with require you to have travel insurance. So, can anyone recommend a provider of cheap travel insurance to cover one day in Bruges? I've no requirement to have cover for anything else (any other holiday this year is likely to be self-organised in the UK), and the quote by the travel firm of £14.80 seemed a bit high for a single day's cover!
Pinged 10 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

try the post office
 nniff 10 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

a fiver from insureandgo.com
 EeeByGum 10 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart: I usually do this:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/

Never spend much more than £15 for a week in Europe for 3 of us so I would imagine a couple of days in Brussels for one person would be pence.

Can travel companies make you have insurance?
 nniff 10 Jan 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:

If it's a term of a contract that you have accepted by travelling with them, then yes, they can. You always have the option to decline their contract.

They could oblige you to present a can of red paint before travel if they wished, and no doubt if the deal were good enough you'd happily turn up with a can of Dulux for them.
OP owlart 10 Jan 2013
In reply to all: Thanks folks, I shall have a look at those sites this evening.

As it's a gift, I didn't have the option of reading through the fine print before buying, and it would seem churlish to throw it back at the giver because of needing insurance (esp. as they're coming with me!), I just wanted to find a cheap policy.
 deanr 10 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart: but surey they won't actualy check you have the insurance, so don't bother buying it
In reply to owlart:

I think that the company is obliged to try to make sure that you have travel insurance, but I don't think there's any legal requirement for you to actually take it out. You may even have some insurance through bank account or home insurance; worth checking. There may be a contractual agreement; check the contract.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=compulsory+travel+insurance

When I've booked holidays in the last few years, the travel companies have always insisted that they need to know my insurance details, and the answer I always give them is, essentially, "piss off and mind your own business; I will have travel insurance, and that's all you need to know". There's an argument that they are asking for your details so they can help in the event that you lose your insurance details (I've seen the Asian tsunami cited as an example).

It strikes me as a bit of a scam to try to sell you insurance via their brokers, thus making more money on the basis of lethargy of the part of the customer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...