UKC

Using creatine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 10 Jan 2013
I would equate using creatine in the gym with high-altitude mountaineers using bottled oxygen. I don't see it as cheating, and its pretty much universally acceptable. I do think that lifting the same amount without creatine is a greater acheivement than with.

Would you agree with this?
 alooker 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User: Yes it's a 'greater' achievement, but not necessarily more worthwhile!

Not sure I agree with the equality between creatine and bottled oxygen either. How far do you go with comparing things like this? Is an ascent a greater achievement if done without rock shoes, or is it more of a gimmick? What about long distance running without isotonic drinks?
 lost1977 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User:

not really its not like creatine adds much to your lifts (dianabol on the other hand)
janiejonesworld 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User: oxygen allows you to perform at altitude way beyond your actual ability (and as such is regarded as cheating by many people). Creatine allows you to train a bit harder when already damaged by prior training but does not enhance your base performance. How are they equal?
 Banned User 77 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User: Yes.. regardless of legality.. for me it's a step too far, but saying that I am not overly anti drugs..

Its a chemical training aid.. we all make our own calls..

I've ran with an EPO cheat.. someone I call a friend.. they made their call and they lived with it. I understood the pressures behind their call, and their remorse.. but it's a slippery slope so for me its nothing that a normal diet cannot provide.. for now.. when injury free..
Removed User 11 Jan 2013
In reply to janiejonesworld:

As I understand it, creatine assists the body to produce more ATP which fuels muscle contraction. Which allows you to perform beyond your natural ability. My experience was that creatine would enable me to lift about 10% more, but any gains were lost when I stopped taking it, so I haven't done for years.
 Sleepy_trucker 14 Jan 2013
What is it exactly?

I ask as my brother's been taking it for a while now (maybe 6mths). In my opinion he's changed - he's become quite arrogant and selfish. I've been wondering if its full of testosterone?

He's also very defensive of it - like the druggy who's convinced the stuff's doing no harm and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

To be perfectly honest, I'm worried about him - I'd like to see him back to the person he used to be. (Might be nothing to do with the creatine of course).
 lost1977 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Sleepy_trucker:

its not the creatine
 Rollo 14 Jan 2013
> What is it exactly?
>
> I ask as my brother's been taking it for a while now (maybe 6mths). In my opinion he's changed - he's become quite arrogant and selfish. I've been wondering if its full of testosterone?
>
> He's also very defensive of it - like the druggy who's convinced the stuff's doing no harm and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
>

That sounds a bit worrying, there have been reports in the past about Lifting supplements that had more in them than they clained on the bottle...

Removed User 14 Jan 2013

Definitely shouldn't be any testosterone in it. I'm wondering if he's taking other stuff that he's not telling you about, stuff that you can't buy over the counter?
 lost1977 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

actually there are quite a few easily available anabolic steroids which are available over the counter legally (due to loopholes they are labelled as supplements, but they contents aren't exactly hidden they're listed on the label)
 Bouldering Ben 14 Jan 2013
> What is it exactly?
>
> I ask as my brother's been taking it for a while now (maybe 6mths). In my opinion he's changed - he's become quite arrogant and selfish. I've been wondering if its full of testosterone?
>
> He's also very defensive of it - like the druggy who's convinced the stuff's doing no harm and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
>
> To be perfectly honest, I'm worried about him - I'd like to see him back to the person he used to be. (Might be nothing to do with the creatine of course).

If he's taking protein powder with creatine in it then it may also contain aspartic acid which is a naturally occurring amino acid that stimulates testosterone production in the body. Creatine also occurs naturally, in meat.

I wouldn't label him a 'druggy' for taking legal supplements though. To get the same amount of protein and creatine as in a typical protein drink he'd need to eat 2 or 3 whole chickens a day at least if not more!

cat88 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User: creatine is made by the human body in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas

Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/creatine-000297.htm#ixzz2Hzv2Vely

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...