UKC

Peanut Butter: friend or enemy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
....as part of a high protein, lower carbs diet?
 gethin_allen 11 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
Enemy as part of any diet, it's grim.
 lost1977 11 Jan 2013

friend, but avoid low fat versions as they tend to have loads of sugar
 Dave Garnett 11 Jan 2013

As part of a high fat diet you mean? I love it but I don't consider it a health food exactly.
 lost1977 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

fats arent bad and are vital for good health most diets would benefit from less carbs more fats
ice.solo 11 Jan 2013

Other nut butters are better (peanuts are not really nuts).
I gather breads not big in your diet, so The odd spoonful as a treat when you need a fat hit wont hurt tho.

Tahini is good if its about something sweet and rich.

In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> Other nut butters are better (peanuts are not really nuts).
> I gather breads not big in your diet, so The odd spoonful as a treat when you need a fat hit wont hurt tho.
>
> Tahini is good if its about something sweet and rich.

Not mad keen on tahini but what are these other nut butter of which you speak? Ive never seen them.

Its strange really about penuts. I was aware that they are not a true nut and in fact they are a legume, more closely related to peas and beans. I also believe that they grow underground but i could be mistaken here. Its a shame they are so calorific.
 annieman 11 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: No idea about the diet question.

The best roasted peanuts that I ever had was when I was working the The Sudan in 80's. Straight out of the ground, made a bonfire with the dead leaves and stalks, peanuts roasted and eaten. Yum.

Robin.
 Reach>Talent 11 Jan 2013
Not mad keen on tahini but what are these other nut butter of which you speak?

Nut butter... Hahahahaha. Try urban dictionary
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> Not mad keen on tahini but what are these other nut butter of which you speak?
>
> Nut butter... Hahahahaha. Try urban dictionary

Have you been spreading that stuff on your toast? Dirty boy, dirty!

Reach>Talent 11 Jan 2013
Have you been spreading that stuff on your toast?

I understand that it is normally spread on a digestive biscuit in some social circles.

Milesy 11 Jan 2013
Peanut Butter is brilliant. Get a good peanut butter with nothing added. Holland & Barrett do a few.

I eat peanuts by the bag and peanut butter with no added sugar is just as good. I will regularly eat it before the gym or running for energy. Great stuff.

Better to ditch the refined carobohydrates than fats. White rice/bread/pasta/sugar.

Fats are essential.
Saturated fats are essential.
> Have you been spreading that stuff on your toast?
>
> I understand that it is normally spread on a digestive biscuit in some social circles.
>
>

Politicians, 70s DJs and police commissioners probably?

edunn 11 Jan 2013

In other news, have you ever heard of eating chedder cheese on fruit cake?
In reply to edunn:
> (In reply to mkean)
>
> In other news, have you ever heard of eating chedder cheese on fruit cake?

Like love and marriage.

Cheese on Soreen is the business. But what has that got to do with dirty nut butter?

CurlyStevo 11 Jan 2013
The peanuts in peanut butter tend to be roasted, roasting nuts and seeds can turn the polyunsaturated fats in to forms of fat similar to trans fats which are not good for you (lightly roasting at 70 degrees for 20 mins is ok). Also you want to watch out for much in the way of other ingredients as they are not necessary (sugar, veg oil etc). However only 25% of the fat in peanut butter is polyunsaturated and its high in monounsaturated fats that are very good for you!.
 Dave Garnett 11 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Excellent! So I can have some nice crunchy peanut butter on wholemeal toast as well as my appropriately low GI porridge then?
 Milesy 11 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

And Saturated fats. Testosterone needs saturated fats. So human growth and fertility is dependant on saturated fats.

I just sat and eat half a block of cheddar and a pint of whole milk. Lovely.
 Milesy 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> Excellent! So I can have some nice crunchy peanut butter on wholemeal toast as well as my appropriately low GI porridge then?

A favourite pre-gym, pre-run or pre-cycle energy treat for me is good quality peanut butter stuffed into a wholemeal pita pocket and put in the toaster. Delicious.
 nufkin 11 Jan 2013
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> what are these other nut butter of which you speak?

Almond butter seems reasonably available (though it probably helps if you have a Waitrose nearby).
Nutella is pretty much Hazelnut butter...
 dave frost 11 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I bget through 1kg pot about every 5 weeks. Its the meridian 100% peanut butter though thats got no added anything (including sugar).

Im also a fan of almond butter.

Cheers
Dave
 lost1977 11 Jan 2013
In reply to dave frost:

haven't tried the meridian PB but had there other nut butters hazelnut,almond,cashew (normally whole earth for my PB)
 Ridge 11 Jan 2013
In reply to edunn:
> (In reply to mkean)
>
> In other news, have you ever heard of eating chedder cheese on fruit cake?

I prefer cheshire myself, but it's the only way to eat fruit/xmas cake
 dycotiles 11 Jan 2013

... with two slices of bread and tinned sardines. When it's all the food you have left after a week camping in the Andes it tastes glorious ...
 Milesy 11 Jan 2013
In reply to nufkin:
> Nutella is pretty much Hazelnut butter...

Haha are you kidding??? Nutella is a jar of sugar with a little hazelnut flavouring.
 hokkyokusei 11 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> The peanuts in peanut butter tend to be roasted, roasting nuts and seeds can turn the polyunsaturated fats in to forms of fat similar to trans fats which are not good for you (lightly roasting at 70 degrees for 20 mins is ok).

I didn't know that, thanks. I often roast my own nuts. So to speak.
 Richard Carter 11 Jan 2013

I was trying to find something to restore dried out plastic (suggestions welcome) and one thing I read recommended peanut butter! Itried a little and seem to work ok although aparently you have keep reapplying it frequently.

As for eating I like the crunchy type - it's my friend :-D
 nufkin 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to nufkin)
> [...]
>
> Haha are you kidding??? Nutella is a jar of sugar with a little hazelnut flavouring.

So it's not good for you after all?

At least there's still Sunny Delight
 Baron Weasel 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:
>
>
> Fats are essential.
> Saturated fats are essential.

Totally agree with you mate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...