UKC

Going to the Cinema

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 11 Jan 2013
Going to the cinema tonight for the first time for about 20 years!
What does one wear to the cinema these days?
 Ava Adore 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

There is a dress code these days. Generally you will be expected to wear a shirt and tie.
 Tall Clare 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

But if the film has an outdoor theme, say Touching the Void for instance, it's de rigeur to wear a down jacket. Do not remove it even if it's summer and the air conditioning in the auditorium has broken.
 Hat Dude 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:
You'll find that the dress code has changed a lot; it's now very formal.
Tails and a top hat are virtually compulsory; with the hat being worn all through the film
In reply to Gordonbp: Gordon, ignore these lot they are pulling your leg.

Cinemas these days are pretty relaxed about the dress code as long as your attire mimics that of the film you are going to watch.

So, Star Wars you have to go as Bobba Fet, Obi Wan Kenobi etc, Twilight, you have to paint your face white, look all mardy and hiss occasionally.
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I went to see TTV in the centre of Manchester, most of the audience looked like they had never been to a city before.
 Fraser 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

Do tell: what are you going to see that's drawn you into a cinema after such a long break from one?
Removed User 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

Whatever the film, you should wear the comfy Ron Hill's that you are sporting in your profile pic.
 ThunderCat 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

Be prepared to have your attention distracted by the hundreds of arseholes around you who seem unable to be without their smartphones / facebook updates for more then 5 minutes at a time.
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)
>
> Be prepared to have your attention distracted by the hundreds of arseholes around you who seem unable to be without their smartphones / facebook updates for more then 5 minutes at a time.

But friends and acquaintances need to know when what you are watching at the local Odeon, dont they?

LastBoyScout 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

I generally find jeans, shirt and a thin jumper work best - sometimes, the air con can be downright chilly.

Feel free to wear a baggy jacket to smuggle in your own drinks and sweets, or stuff them in the o/h's handbag

When I went to the opening of DropZone in Nottingham, all the instructors from my local parachute school were in jump suits and rigs i in fairness, they did have a big advertising stand in the foyer.

Don't bother paying for the premier seats in an Odeon - I found them less comfortable than the regular seats.
 LastBoyScout 11 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
> [...]
>
> But friends and acquaintances need to know when what you are watching at the local Odeon, dont they?

You can't post spoilers until you've seen it, surely???
 Ava Adore 11 Jan 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)
>
> Be prepared to have your attention distracted by the hundreds of arseholes around you who seem unable to be without their smartphones / facebook updates for more then 5 minutes at a time.

Incredibly annoying, that. Because if you're sitting behind them, you can see their screen light up from wherever you are and your attention is immediately diverted there. I don't know which I hate more; that or people rustling and munching their way through piles of crap food as if they've not eaten in the last week.
Pinged 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

Dont forget to take an extra 2 or 3 hundred quid so you can have a drink and an offaldog
 paul-1970 11 Jan 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)
>

For all we know, he could be going along to his local 'film theatre' to watch the latest baffling art-house flick.

In which case, arrive nice and early so one can talk loudly in the coffee bar foyer about recent cultural treats. Then take seat and make not a sound through the film, unless you want the extreme frowns of the massed highbrows to scar you for life. If you want to blend in, a notebook and one of those 'light pen' things to take notes on references, camera angles and duraion of long shots. Murmurs at the references and cameo appearances are allowed, as is laughing at the in-jokes. Serious face and no sound at all during the 'love scenes'. At close of film, stay right until the last reel has disappeared and the last note of the modern jazz soundtrack has ended.
 cat88 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp: when going to the cinema these days it is advisable to take a bank card / personal loan as you will get raped on the cost!
In reply to cat88:

It may be me being overly sensitive, but I do find the use of the term rape in this way pretty distasteful. I particularly dislike the term f(acebook)rape.
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to cat88)
>
> It may be me being overly sensitive, but I do find the use of the term rape in this way pretty distasteful. I particularly dislike the term f(acebook)rape.

Yes you are, perhaps bent over would have been more polite?

Im being a bit thick but what is f(acebook)rape? Is this what happened to the shareholders post IPO?

In reply to Gordonbp:

During "Life of Pi" I was treated to every single animal being announced by a woman behind me. "It's a flying fish", "a whale", "meerkats!" etc.

Such people might want to consider a stab-proof vest.

Frape is when one of your friends gets access to your Facebook account and posts something stupid, offensive or embarrassing on it in your name.

I just don't find the comparison between having to pay £9 for a cinema ticket and sexual assault very proportionate or pleasant.
In reply to The New NickB: Ahh I see.

This happens quite a lots in offices when computer operators fail to log off when then pop to the loo or out for a fag. The finance director or some other similarly important person being the recipient. I was once a 'victim'.

Quite funny I thought and certainly teaches said office worker the value of security.
OP Gordonbp 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Fraser: Les Miserables!
OP Gordonbp 11 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek post in the first place!
OP Gordonbp 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Turdus torquatus: rotflmao!
Pinged 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

WHat about the term 'dry breached' then...better than 'raped'?
 Ava Adore 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

I am a huge fan of musicals - but in the theatre, not on film. I determined at the outset not to bother going to see Les Mis but all the hype is starting to get to me now. I may weaken at some point.
 Steve Perry 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: Does the new Les Mis movie have singing in it, or is it just a movie version of the story without?
In reply to Steve Perry: check out The Onion's report on Russell Crowe
 coinneach 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

Don't forget to stand up when The National Anthem is played at the end of the film.
 nufkin 11 Jan 2013

> I particularly dislike the term f(acebook)rape

'Facejack' seems a less unpleasant alternative.
 Fraser 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp:

> Les Miserables!

Ah, I'd been thinking I might go and see that. As long as it wasn't "Life of Pi" - I wasn't impressed and would have warned you off!
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> I just don't find the comparison between having to pay £9 for a cinema ticket and sexual assault very proportionate or pleasant.

Well keep it to yourself then, don't spread your misery.

Blue Straggler 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
It is a musical. It is a film adaptation of the Cameron Mackintosh production. A non-musical all-star Hollywood production was released in about 1998, with Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush, Clare Danes and Uma Thurman in it. It tanked SPECTACULARLY but is apparently OK.
There's a French miniseries from about 2000 with Depardieu and Virginie Ledoyen ... and John Malkovich. I have not seen it so I don't know if Malkovich is speaking French in it or what.
Removed User 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)

> I am a huge fan of musicals - but in the theatre, not on film. I determined at the outset not to bother going to see Les Mis but all the hype is starting to get to me now. I may weaken at some point.<

it was brilliant much as I love the stage one, I had as much enjoyment seeing this version.
Jim C 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordonbp: I' not sure what you should wear, but the people in the shop should be wearing a mask, highway robbery.
 Bulls Crack 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
>
> But if the film has an outdoor theme, say Touching the Void for instance, it's de rigeur to wear a down jacket. Do not remove it even if it's summer and the air conditioning in the auditorium has broken.

And don't do what I did at Hebden Bridge cinema at a doug Scott lecture and pour scalding coffee down Andy Caves neck.

All I can say is that he may be a way hard uber alpinist, genre spanning climbing giant but he can't take a little hot beverage down his shirt collar.
 ThunderCat 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Pinged:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)
>
> What about the term 'dry breached' then...better than 'raped'?

My daughters boyfriend once did a massive yawn, and when his mouth was at it's widest, my daughter leant over, stuck her fingers in his mouth (and halfway down his throat judging by his reaction) and yelled "YAWN RAPE!!!!"

Which I found hilarious.

Apparently it's the 'thing' amongst them and their circle of friends. Kids eh?
Jim C 11 Jan 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
> [...]
>
> For all we know, he could be going along to his local 'film theatre' to watch the latest baffling art-house flick.
>
> In which case, arrive nice and early so one can talk loudly in the coffee bar foyer about recent cultural treats. Then take seat and make not a sound through the film, unless you want the extreme frowns of the massed highbrows to scar you for life. If you want to blend in, a notebook and one of those 'light pen' things to take notes on references, camera angles and duraion of long shots. Murmurs at the references and cameo appearances are allowed, as is laughing at the in-jokes. Serious face and no sound at all during the 'love scenes'. At close of film, stay right until the last reel has disappeared and the last note of the modern jazz soundtrack has ended.

Precisely why I am prepared to pay a few bob more to go to the likes GFT, as they also show the mainstream films, but don't have a shop selling popcorn tacos etc, but you can get a drink, and even take it in to the film. I have no great knowledge of film, but I just cannot stand talkers, and people who play with noisy sweet and crisp wrappers, fact is , you get much less of those types in these cinemas, than in the multiplexes. I'm not a snob, I just like it to be quiet.

I do take your point on other observations mentioned above though.
 Ridge 12 Jan 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)
>

That and all the talking, munching, going to the bog..
Can't help the OP with attire as I've not been to the Cinema for at least 10 years, as I can think of better thinks to spend 10 quid on than trying to watch a film whilst surrounded by knobheads.
 Steve Perry 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> [...]
>
> And don't do what I did at Hebden Bridge cinema at a doug Scott lecture and pour scalding coffee down Andy Caves neck.
>
Do they still stop the movie there halfway through to fetch the brews round?
 The New NickB 14 Jan 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> [...]
>
> Well keep it to yourself then, don't spread your misery.

You have a very strange way of looking at the world! Not a pleasant one either!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...