UKC

Raven on Fairfield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevesmith 11 Jan 2013
Having lunch on top of Fairfield on Wednesday, I was approached by a raven who clearly expected some food. I've never seen a raven this close in the Lakes. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
 annieman 11 Jan 2013
In reply to stevesmith: That'll be the end of the World then. Lol
In reply to stevesmith:
Yes - pair of ravens at summit of Stob Dearg, Buachaille Etive Mor a few weeks ago seemed happy to be within 6 feet of me.
 Lankyman 11 Jan 2013
mysterion 11 Jan 2013
In reply to stevesmith:

Yep, top of Rossett Gill last January. Raven landed about 10 feet away even though no food was apparent.
Jim C 11 Jan 2013
In reply to stevesmith: Not a close encounter, but I read that there is a group of ravens on Skye that have learned that there is food in your rucksack, and if you leave it unattended, they will rip it apart to get the food,( discarding your car keys etc in the process. )
 Pritchard 11 Jan 2013
In reply to stevesmith:

They're pretty well known in the Cuillin for opening and going through bags and I've had them quite close there.
 BMrider 11 Jan 2013
In reply to stevesmith:
Yes, they do seem confident to interact with people.
I was scrambling up Foxes Rake on Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh in the Cuillins and had a prolonged exchange or conversation with a Raven. We cawed to eachother while I ascended, it regularly relocating to keep the same distance and maintain the exchange, with me improving my mimic as it went on. As I emerged onto the top, it seemed content to leave and flew off down into Corruisk. I was glad no-one else saw this - they'd've thought me bonkers.
OP stevesmith 12 Jan 2013
In reply to BMrider:

Excellent! Was this conversation in Gaelic?
 Mike Peacock 12 Jan 2013
In reply to stevesmith: I had one land next to me at the top of the Devil's Kitchen a few years back:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/4318977317/sizes/o/in/photostream/
In reply to stevesmith: yes I've seen that raven near fairfield before.
 Mark Bull 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Full moon addict:

On New Years Eve, a raven flew within 10 feet of us while we were having lunch in the summit shelter on Canisp. As soon as we left, it was straight in there looking for scraps. Have also been approached by one on Ben Oss.
 Flinticus 15 Jan 2013
In reply to stevesmith:
Saw two on the Arkaig hills, perched next to a cairn. So big, as I approached I thought they were wild goats (had already passed two such herds), until they both took wing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...