UKC

Brighton - where to climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianjdodd 12 Jan 2013
Hi, I'm going to be based in Brighton for 3 weeks starting 13 jan. Where do people go climbing indoors?
 Elrond 12 Jan 2013
In reply to ianjdodd:

The closest place is K2 in Crawley. Although the bouldering facilities there are pretty crap the leading is pretty good. In my opinion it is far better to take the train up to London and go to some of the walls up there like the Biscuit Factory.

Pitch9 should hopefully be opening this year although that doesn't really help you if you're only temporarily in Brighton..
 trouserburp 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Shadowmaster: If you have a car you might try Evolution for bouldering, near Tunbridge Wells
 PeterJuggler 14 Jan 2013
In reply to ianjdodd: Personally I climb at K2. I don't think the bouldering is that bad. The problems are always challenging.
There are other places around Brighton but not very good.
http://www.aultd.org/climbing-wall
http://www.aoac.org.uk
 neuromancer 14 Jan 2013
In reply to ianjdodd:

There is a very small and foot smelling place in shoreham (if you're desperate and on a push-bike, otherwise, avoid).

There's K2 in crawley, whose bouldering is pretty small, and whose lead walls are, in my humble opinion, reachy overhung jug haul fests all the way through to the late 6's.

There's craggy in guildford, about 15-20mins further than k2 that is absolutely superb, ludicrous amount of wall space, drytooling wall (pretty basic), and 'ok' bouldering.

Finally, craggy has a second place in Sutton (a tad closer) with excellent bouldering (including some ankle breakingly highballish problems) but no leading. I think they do a lot of compo bouldering here, really interesting problems.

Frankly if you're going for a decent chunk of time, make the effort to go to craggy.
 neuromancer 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Shadowmaster:

Unless i'm mistaken, and I was looking at the plans the otherday, but isn't pitch 9 mothballed and instead it's gonna be 'brighton bouldering centre'?
 PeterJuggler 14 Jan 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to Shadowmaster)
>
> Unless i'm mistaken, and I was looking at the plans the otherday, but isn't pitch 9 mothballed and instead it's gonna be 'brighton bouldering centre'?
They just changed the name for some reason. It's the same organisers. The Facebook page is still called Pitch 9. I preferred Pitch 9 anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...