UKC

lakes winter conditions Sat 12th jan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paulh.0776 13 Jan 2013
Some images from The old Man of Coniston and Wetherlam yesterday.
Hopefully its not going to be like this much longer and the snow arrives aplenty.

http://paulhorsmanphotographer.blogspot.co.uk
 mike123 13 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776: snowing like the clappers now just outside cockermouth, proper big flakes ...
OP paulh.0776 13 Jan 2013
In reply to mike123: yippee...........
 LakesWinter 13 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776: Crags not white as of lunch time today, went for a walk round Helvellyn and saw over to Bowfell, nothing in yet, though there will be soon once it has snowed more.
mook456 13 Jan 2013
Looking to head over this Tuesday hopefully. Given the forecast etc what do you think my chances are of getting an easy buttress route in? Prob brown cove crags area. Ta
 LakesWinter 13 Jan 2013
In reply to markymark31: I'd say very likely for Brown Cove on Tuesday, the snow was massing out to the west and it would only need a couple more inches to make Brown Cove ok. Have fun!
redsonja 13 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776: snowing heavily in windermere now
 hfac 13 Jan 2013
In reply to heidi123: was out at Carrock fell and was snowing pretty hard earlier. Decent amount of fresh snow around the fells too.
redsonja 13 Jan 2013
In reply to hfac: fantastic. hope its good on tues when im off work!
 Radioactiveman 13 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776:

Off on tuesday myself. Not that cold and wet sleet at the moment
 PontiusPirate 13 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776:

More importantly, the ground was well frozen above about 750m on Saturday, especially areas exposed to the East - shallow areas of turf were like iron, obviously, since I wasn't on a winter route, I can't comment on how that's translated to steeper turfy ground. Anyway, the important thing is that the ground is cold BEFORE it's started snowing, so it's not still above freezing and being insulated by the fresh snow as earlier this season!

I'd say that was quite positive and I wouldn't be surprised if those that can get out find some stuff in good nick by mid-week

PP.
 Radioactiveman 13 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776:

Sounds more promising,might have to book my nights off this week
 Caralynh 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:

Turf and ground totally solid frozen from 500m today. Was up Csusey Pike /Eel crag yesterday and very cold. Short bimble up Ard Crag today and even colder. Not much on the ground yet, but the foundations are definitely there.
 Radioactiveman 15 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776:

Todays conditions around helvellyn FYI

brown cove,turf is only just and so frozen in places. unconsolidated powder in the gullies.Only really the upper pitch of two grooves(iv 6) that you could climb Over towards red tarn most of the snow has been blown away and what is left is unconsolidated. Helvellyn summit was just about frozen in places.Bit cold with the windchill but seemed mild otherwise. area needs some freeze thaw from what little I understand about weather.
 DalesClimber 16 Jan 2013
Planning to head to the Lakes tomorrow, to look at doing a mixed route somewhere (at around grade III). Has anyone local got any info on how Brown Cove & Gable are looking?

Thanks.
In reply to MariaDixon1: gable might be alright - I went along climbers traverse and up sphinx ridge. snow very powdery, but probably okay for mixed.
drmike 16 Jan 2013
In reply to paulh.0776:
Climbed Jogebar gully ( III ) , Nethermost Crag today, good fun. The ice placements aren't good once the sun is on it , but the turf placements are excellent ( esp on the right hand side when the gully narrows at the crux )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...