UKC

Nicole Cooke retires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chateauneuf du Boeuf 14 Jan 2013
Shame to see someone so talented retire to no doubt very little fanfare while the whole Armstrong thing rumbles on. There remains a shocking inequality between the men and women at all competitive levels.
 The New NickB 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Chateauneuf du Boeuf:

She has put the boot in to Armstrong and unnamed others in the process!
 Timmd 14 Jan 2013
In reply to The New NickB:Good for her, in letting them have it with both barrels.
 Loughan 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Chateauneuf du Boeuf: So long Nicole, loved watching her race especially in the early days when she'd tear the whole field apart race after race.

Interesting that she was being offered/pushed drugs but hardly a surprise. There have been more than one female cyclist that has said there's no drugs in ladies cycling because 'it is not worth it'. Are they deluded, innocent or part of the omerta?
Chateauneuf du Boeuf 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Loughan: I think that's probably a fair analysis, there isn't enough money in Womens cycling to really make drugs worth it. But financial reward isn't the only reason people take drugs. I remember a couple years back someone got caught with EPO in a National B race in Britain.
fxceltic 14 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Loughan) I think that's probably a fair analysis, there isn't enough money in Womens cycling to really make drugs worth it. But financial reward isn't the only reason people take drugs. I remember a couple years back someone got caught with EPO in a National B race in Britain.

precisely, people take drugs to win/ compete. The money sometimes comes with that and then maybe the money becomes more important.

Tyler Hamilton certainly felt it was that way for him.
 carnie 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Chateauneuf du Boeuf: Dan Staite
 DaveHK 14 Jan 2013

Chapeau to her.
 steveriley 14 Jan 2013
So long Nicole, thanks for some great racing. Great statement.
 SAF 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Chateauneuf du Boeuf:I remember watching her winning the xc national champs as a youth in '99. She was so far ahead of the other girls that the organisers hadn't got round to sorting out the arena area from the start set-up to the 1st to 2nd lap set up...as a result she didn't ride the proper course for a short section, she went on to finish a massive distance ahead only to find out that the knob head commissaire had decided to disqualify her... so she took her helmet of and properly lobbed it at him hitting him hard... she was only a kid, it was well funny to watch, and she quite rightly got reinstated as the winner
 dale1968 14 Jan 2013
In reply to SAF: like^
 DaveHK 14 Jan 2013

On C4 shortly.
altirando 14 Jan 2013
In reply to dale1968: Didn't she win the women's TdF at the same time as being world champion? Yet still fail to get the sports personof the year award?
 Timmd 15 Jan 2013
Nicole Cooke has attacked the inequality in cycling, drugs cheats and the world governing body after announcing an end to her stellar 13-year career.

The 29-year-old from Swansea, who was the first cyclist, male or female, to win Olympic and world road race gold in the same year in 2008, announced her retirement in central London on Monday.

"My time in the sport is finished," the 10-time British champion said. "I am very happy with my career. I have many, many happy memories over what has been my life's work since I was 12. I have won every race and more that I dreamed I could win."

Cooke was a trailblazer for cycling in Britain, particularly for women's racing. She also hopes the sport will rid itself of doping, a topic she felt compelled to speak about in a week when Lance Armstrong will be interviewed for the first time since being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for drugs offences.

"I have ridden through some of the darkest days of the sport in terms of corruption by the cheats and liars," Cooke added. "I cannot change the era or time that I am born into. I am very proud that I have met the temptations head on and have not wavered in my honesty or sold my ideals.

"When Lance cries on Oprah later this week and she passes him a tissue, spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward, just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances."

Cooke claimed she was offered "medicines" from a team campervan during her first Tour de France, aged 19. When she refused, she went without pay for the rest of the season, while in her first few days as a professional she had to clear a fridge of doping products.

There have been fewer incidents of doping in women's racing, but the impact of the Armstrong scandal and many others before it have been hugely costly, with teams and events lost due to lack of sponsorship.

"Every scandal on the men's side has caused sponsors to leave on the women's side," added Cooke, while deriding the "rewards" offered to male dopers. "Tyler Hamilton (a former team-mate of Armstrong and whistle-blower) will make more money from his book describing how he cheated than Lyne Bessette (one of Cooke's former team-mates) or I will make in all our years of our honest labour.

"The situation requires the very basics of morality. Please don't reward people like Hamilton with money. There are many places infinitely more deserving than the filthy hands of Hamilton."

I find this interesting, clearly a woman of integrity.
 Rollo 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Fantastic!
 Chris the Tall 15 Jan 2013
> There remains a shocking inequality between the men and women at all competitive levels.

Agree, which is why this is good news

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/536382/ctc-launches-women-s-cycl...

KevinD 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

interview from her here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/16/cyclist-nicole-cooke-say-exactl...

must be particularly galling this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...