UKC

Billy nae mates skiing in the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 15 Jan 2013
I'm planning to drive down to the alps in me van for some skiing over easter, meeting up with some folks out there. It looks like I'll have some time on my tod as well though.

I'm happy to do a couple of piste days but want to be off-piste / touring for most the time. Obviously I'll be scaling it back when alone and mostly avoiding glaciated terrain.

Any recommendations on venues / routes? Preferrably France. Ta
 Gael Force 16 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK: Tignes, ESF, book on Grand Ski, you wont ski on piste all day, cheap and good fun, and safe. I do it when with kids.
OP DaveHK 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Gael Force:

Cheers, but I was more looking for suggestions of tours with relatively low objective danger or good areas to visit alone.
 earlsdonwhu 16 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK: In most resorts the Guides offer a few day tours a week which are just a case of signing up for as an individual to form a group. You may get access to some less obvious routes and will cost less.You may enjoy more if you speak some French.
 French Erick 16 Jan 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
His main issue is that he's friend with an impoverished Frenchie who cannot go with him. I very much doubt he'll be into hiring a guide. As for his French, it is much better than he lets people know!
Good classics that are described in some guidebooks, or better people who know said classics to go with, is what Dave's after methinks.
In reply to DaveHK: Come to Chamonix and we can get a few tours in.
 alasdair19 16 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK: I could persuade myself that the albula tour would work minimal glacier.

Have u considered the eagle ski club? The have official tours and a forum for things more ad hoc.
 French Erick 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alasdair19:
provided he's not alone, I don't think Dave will mind glaciated terrain. Particularly if that takes him to an amazing descent
OP DaveHK 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alasdair19:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) I could persuade myself that the albula tour would work minimal glacier.

I take it you mean 'would work' as a solo tour. It looks really good. I found some nice pics on the Glenmore website.
 Morgan Woods 16 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

La Grave might fit the bill....you can easily stay in the van in the car park, the guides office (i think) runs a daily session where you can turn up and share the cost of the guide with a group, also Skiers Lodge there has a guided service and may have space on their trips. Also it's easy to meet randoms there (try the Auberge or Castillon bar) and most are keen to tour or do off-piste. Because it is so sunny, there MAY be a few easy tours from the roadside with lower avalanche risk eg Pic Blanc du Galibier which is just after the Col du Lauteret.
 Gael Force 16 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK: Vamos guide books are good if your on your own as you wont be too far away if things go tits up, sometimes i think skiing on your own is actually more dangerous than soloing on ice due to the skiing terrain being so avalanche prone. There loads to do all round the Tarnentaise which is well covered by those books and you can follow other groups.
 alasdair19 16 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK: Yes. My brother and I telemarked it a few years ago. There are two excellent descents and a couple of easy outs if the weather is poor. Personally I'd rip it up in la grave
 French Erick 17 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
If you go as far south as La Grave, you should meet up with my brother. He goes up regularly: in fact was there on Monday. I'll drop it a line about it. Only thing is that he might still be instructing 7 days a week then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...