UKC

Weather at Stannage/Burbage edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1906johns 15 Jan 2013
Hello all
what are snow the conditions like at stannage/burbage edges ? This bloody snow is ruining my plans, are either of the above venues (safely) climbable ? would hate to drive up and find its too crap to do anything

thanks
 Swig 15 Jan 2013
In reply to 1906johns:

I've not been up to either - but I do live nearby. It's not snowed loads here, not much today at all.

My guess is that you'd find something to do on Stanage because there's loads of routes to choose from. Cold on the hands though. And watch out for the Burbage North road if it's icy!

Hopefully this will bump the thread and someone whose been up there will come along.

OP 1906johns 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Swig: Thanks mate that's very helpful.
 Offwidth 16 Jan 2013
In reply to 1906johns:

I'd offer a counter-view... snow or no snow unless the sun is on the rock you need to be seriously cold proof to be roped climbing in these temps. Put on your warmest clothes and find some sheltered bouldering.
 Dan Arkle 16 Jan 2013
I walked a Burbage round yesterday. There is snow on top of the crags, and only a little problem with meltw*ter seeping down. I'm sure you could get some routes done if really keen, but bouldering would probably be better
 John_Hat 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Arkle:
> I'm sure you could get some routes done if really insane, but bouldering would probably be better
> .

Fixed for you...
 Yanis Nayu 16 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat: It's handling metal gear that knackers me when climbing the cold. Making moves on rock when you can feel neither your hands nor your feet doesn't inspire much confidence.
 Chris the Tall 16 Jan 2013
In reply to 1906johns:
Beautiful but bloody cold up there this morning. Rock looked dry and no sign of meltw*ter. Did see a couple of brave souls on the 20ft wall at Burbage.

I really struggle when it's cold. Maybe I'm getting old and my circulation isn't great, but fingers and toes were freezing. I was on my bike though, and grinning from ear to ear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...