UKC

training and concentration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 another_alex 16 Jan 2013
This might sound a bit odd, but does anyone else have a problem of not being able to concentrate after exercising/training?

I walked to work an hour and a half in the snow yesterday, I was fine for about half an hour or so when I got there and then couldn't focus on anything - like it took me 45 mins to do 10 mins work badly (hopefully my boss didn't notice!). I've had the same thing recently after climbing, or cycling for a couple of hours.

Has anyone else had this and what do you do to prevent it?

Thanks
 Jus 16 Jan 2013
In reply to another_alex:

it's your body telling you "I was really enjoying that, and now i'm stuck behind a bloody desk syndrome"

I get it all the time.
 frqnt 16 Jan 2013
Sounds like a typical example of poor diet and dehydration. You've possibly depleted both; muscle glycogen and blood glycogen stores during your walk.

Muscle glycogen is primarily required for muscle exertion and blood glycogen for mental function. However, each can be used for the other through complicated metabolic processes.

It sounds like, having exhausted muscle glycogen stores, that your body has converted blood glycogen for energy - leaving you feeling physically and mentally drained. The danger of this is, if your bodies glycogen stores are depleted, your body looks for alternate sources of energy through gluconeogenesis which could include the breakdown of muscle mass.

You could try consuming a proper meal the night before consisting of good quality carbohydrate sources for your body to stockpile glycogen for your morning activities. Then after the walk you'd want to get some carbohydrates in you to replenish the depleted stores for normal daily function.

The key is to keep your blood glucose level relatively level as spikes can cause excess fat uptake. Blood glucose will generally rise and stay there for three hours after a meal, after this it starts depleting.

Good luck.
OP another_alex 16 Jan 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Really useful, thanks. I'll try lots of carbohydrates.
 Kemics 16 Jan 2013

I struggle to concentrate if I havn't exercised. I need to tire my body to let my mind focus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...