UKC

Lakes gully conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
david oakley 16 Jan 2013
Does Anybody know if any off the gully's are getting in condition again? Thinking of heading up the lakes this weekend
 Harry Ellis 16 Jan 2013
Great end gullys not complete. Some old snow and abit of new but nit much (wrong aspect). New snow srill powdeey or windslab with weak layer. Custs might be ok but be prepared for a mixed step in mid section. Possible slab accumalation at top toi. Far from ideal really,best wait fir a thaw/freeze imho
 Baron Weasel 16 Jan 2013
In reply to david oakley: Avalanche waiting to happen at a guess. Some info here

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/
Removed User 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel:
> (In reply to david oakley) Avalanche waiting to happen at a guess.

Incorrect. There is very little snow. A team did Central Gully at the weekend. No problem with conditions.

Baron Weasel 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User: It is Wednesday now!

The first snow flakes fell in Staveley at 1pm Sunday and continued until lunchtime Monday. Kendal MRT rescued two walkers lost in a whiteout up Kentmere Sunday evening.

See the picture on the weatherline link I posted1

BW
 droberts 16 Jan 2013
In reply to david oakley: two very contrasting reports the only way to find out is to go and have a look for your self of course
 Simon Caldwell 16 Jan 2013
In reply to david oakley:
There's currently a load of snow forecast for Friday and Friday night, on southerly gales, so I'd expect that at the weekend the gullies will be mainly full of deep powder.
http://mwis.org.uk/ld.php?fdate=130118
 Gael Force 16 Jan 2013
In reply to david oakley: There is much more snow in the southern fells, hence the different conditions reports.
 andy wa 16 Jan 2013
Anyone been out today? Thinking of finding an easy route tomorrow, wondering where to go, any suggestions?
Andy
Removed User 16 Jan 2013
In reply to droberts:
> (In reply to david oakley) two very contrasting reports the only way to find out is to go and have a look for your self of course

Correct - go look is exactly what matters - relatively little snow High Street - Helvellyn - Blencathra - Central fells.
 mamboochris 16 Jan 2013
I did Central Gully on Brown Cove Crags, Helvellyn today. Lots of powdery, loose snow, not really in good condition. Snow line quite low down on Helvellyn range. Looks like a lot more snow to come on Friday? Get your skis on!
 Gav Parker 16 Jan 2013
I was out around the Coniston fells today...lots of loose powder snow but no ice at any levels....I had a look down the gullies on Dow crag and they were full of windslab....we need some more snow and freeze thaw cycles to make things good. Hope this helps....
 happy_c 16 Jan 2013
In reply to david oakley: we went up to great end and its all soft soft powder, we opted for a walk instead, although a pair had done window gully and found the same, crap snow and wet ice!
 dougyt26 16 Jan 2013
I was hoping to get out on the weekend up a grade 2 gully but looks like we are not going to get a thaw before Saturday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...