UKC

Aiguille rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevinroet 16 Jan 2013
Has anyone had any experience with these rucksacks, and what are they like? Very tempted to go british.
 Andy Hardy 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet: I've got one, well made but heavy. I bought it in '96 or '97 apart from not being as waterproof as it was it's fine.
 edinburgh_man 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

I got Aiguille to make some modifications to my existing pack. I was very happy with the service and the quality of the work.

I also had a look / feel of the packs while I was in their showroom / shop, the quality looks really good, and they are not over designed which is great.
 danm 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

You won't get more bombproof, my original is still just about going after 20 years and I used it for work every day for over 7 of that. Still have a daysack which needs a new zip after too much overfilling (that one is about 12 years old) but fabric is still fine. Put it this way, I bought a Pod to replace the original alpine pack, next time I'll go back to Aiguille.
 oliverk 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

I've had a Stratos for around 3 years. It's so far been bombproof. I got the back made longer, so the bag is more like 45L than the specified 37L. It weighs around 1100g, which is pretty good for the capacity and strength.

If I was going to buy another 30-50L pack, Aiguille is the first place I'd look.
 Wee Davie 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

I ordered a 47 litre model last week. Like another poster mentioned, most modern sacs seem to be too flimsy and over- complicated. My most recent one is falling to bits after only a few seasons.
I was attracted to the simplicity of the designs and that they should be repairable if needed. Good to support a British firm too.
 Ron Kenyon 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

I have had one for about ten years. I took it back to Staveley recently for a "service" and Adrian and the gang were very accommodating.

Good sensible and practical sack.
 CurlyStevo 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:
plus they are nice and light!
 Hat Dude 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

I posted this in a December thread

"Had a Zenith for approx a year; good sack, very well made, comfortable and lighter than it looks.

My only complaint is that the closing straps are stitched quite high up so that if you're climbing with it fairly empty, it's difficult to strap the lid down tight. I get around this by threading the straps down through the axe attachment loops."
 Siward 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet: Buy without hesitation. As you say, its nice to buy British plus you can have your pack customised to your spec.

Mine (a 'triolet' IIRC) is spot on, well made, devoid of superflous features and roobust.
OP kevinroet 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet: Thanks guys, you've sold it to me
 AndyP 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet: They made a school bag for my son to my exact specifications last year. Could not fault them one bit - if they were to fold through lack of business then we should hang our heads in shame, try phoning one of the multinationals with your exact specs ! They are a national treasure, give them your business....and while you're at it buy something from Buffalo, PHD and Hilltrek.
 Andes 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:
Brilliant, simple, effective and hardwearing.
I',m a mountain professional and I've been through about six over the years now and keep buying them.over
 nniff 16 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

What they all said - light, bombproof, no redundant 'features' and built to my spec - all for fewer £ than a big brand 'essential' pack. What's not to like?
 David Coley 17 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet: Mine is still going strong after 20 years.
 Wee Davie 19 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:

Got my new Zenith bag yesterday. not used it yet but it looks as good as I'd hoped it would.
 Timmd 19 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:Sounds like what I need to replace my Berghaus 'sack which is 15 years old and looking a bit sorry. Been undecided about having it repaired or buying a new 'sack. Be good to buy new and British rather than from Decathlon or somewhere like that, it's not always the msot comfy 'sack.
In reply to kevinroet: I recently bought my son a secondhand Aiguille Jorasses 75l rucksack and wished I'd kept it for myself! It's absolutely bombproof and extremely well made. Reminds me of Lowe Alpine packs of 1980s vintage when they were made in Ireland; excellent quality and attention to detail and no extraneous bells and whistles.
 redscotti 19 Jan 2013
Would be good if they posted more information on their website though - e.g. Most people would want to know the weight of a rucksack or bumbag......
 t0mb0 19 Jan 2013
In reply to redscotti:
> Would be good if they posted more information on their website though - e.g. Most people would want to know the weight of a rucksack or bumbag......

I agree, I was trying to find out about their Nimbus rucksack and they seem to have missed the description off entirely for that one.
 Wee Davie 20 Jan 2013
In reply to t0mb0:

My old sac is a Berghaus Arete 45. My new Zenith (47 litres) is definitely lighter in a non- scientific test I carried out (lifting both of them empty at the same time). I went for the Aiguille bag for the durability so it's a bonus to find it's pretty light too. Most manufacturers claim lower weights for products than in reality so I can kind of see why they'd not advertise weight.
 BenTiffin 20 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet: 55l ish Super Couloir for me - about 10 years old and brilliant. It barely looks used.
 Timmd 20 Jan 2013
In reply to redscotti:
> Would be good if they posted more information on their website though - e.g. Most people would want to know the weight of a rucksack or bumbag......

http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showpro...

Which is in the description...

()

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...