UKC

Subaru Legacy £5k: 2.0R, 2.5 Outback or Spec B?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 16 Jan 2013
I have a budget of 5K and fancy a Subaru estate. It will just be a weekend car with 5-6 trips a year of 4-500 miles. Don't have a massive maintenance budget.

Should I get a higher mileage Spec B or 2.5 Outback or be sensible and get a newer 2.0R?

(Oh please, please, please say a Spec B!)
In reply to iksander:

Spec B. There you go!

You might want to do the maths on how much you will be spending on petrol though. Great handling and power, 4WD with winter tyres is very secure.

Apart from fuel costs, the only niggles with the Spec B are (in a 2006 anyway):

Stereo, including cassette player, is average and hard to replace (i.e. expensive)
Cabin temperature control a bit hit and miss
Satnat costs 300 quid to update legitmately.
There's some talk of disks needing replacement.

The Spec B has heated seats and wipers, which is a nice touch in winter. Do the others have this?

You could try asking on the UK Legacy forum, but you know what the answer will be.
 arch 16 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander: As a former Impreza owner there is only one answer to your question and i think you already know that...........Spec B all the waaaaaaaaaaaay.
Flat4matt 17 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:

Again, a former impreza owner and would go with the Spec B.
If you didnt go for the B youll always wished you did :-D
OP iksander 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Thanks for the moral support chaps

I've been unable to get to see any Legacys this week - any comments on headroom, legroom (front and back) and driver's position? We're a tall family , so that could be a deal breaker.

I tried getting on to the UK legacy forum, but it keeps re-directing me to www.police.uk - I wonder if they're trying to tell me something?!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:

I was impressed with my B-Spec, loads of space, fantastic cruiser, good for the tall (I'm 6' 3") excellent sat nav.

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/94903594

but bear in mind 3.0L + four-wheel drive + auto = thirsty!

Chris
In reply to iksander:

>
> I tried getting on to the UK legacy forum, but it keeps re-directing me to www.police.uk - I wonder if they're trying to tell me something?!

Seems OK to me:

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php
OP iksander 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Turdus torquatus: Hi TT, The forum seems fine, but you can't seach as a guest (presumably you can as a member) and when I go to register it turfs me out onto www.police.uk. Maybe it was because I declined to sign up as a paying member (pay for a forum - uh?) Wasn't cleasr what paying would get you, presumed advertising?

@ Chris- that sounds promising, I am also 6' 3". I am fully expecting lousy mpg, but liveable as a weekend car. I'm also considering an LPG conversion. Insurance will be eye watering though as the mrs has been a little accident prone the last few years...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...