UKC

GPS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevinroet 16 Jan 2013
Looking for a GPS, not sure which one to go for. Need one for the Alps and UK, only in case of emergency, wondering if anyone knows a little more.
In reply to kevinroet: I've just purchased the Etrex 20 which is pretty good. depends on your budget really.
 Foolow Mike 17 Jan 2013
In reply to kevinroet:
A brief article on our blog, "which GPS"
http://sierranevadaguides.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/GPS%20Navigation

mike
 d_b 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Sierra Nevada Guides:

You state that the etrex 10 is a big improvement on the older etrex h. Could you be a bit more specific and say what they have changed?

I don't think I have had my etrex-h long enough to justify an upgrade, but would like to know what I'm missing
In reply to kevinroet:

If all you need is a basic grid reference to tell you where you are in an emergency, then something like a second-hand Garmin Geko 201 will do just fine. As will one of the Etrex 'H' series ('H' for high-sensitivity, i.e. using a better GPS chipset).
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Sierra Nevada Guides)
>
> You state that the etrex 10 is a big improvement on the older etrex h. Could you be a bit more specific and say what they have changed?
>
> I don't think I have had my etrex-h long enough to justify an upgrade, but would like to know what I'm missing

More sensitive and efficient receivers, better user interface.
 wilkesley 17 Jan 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I upgraded from an eTrex H to an eTrex 20 last year. I find the maps useful - I use OpenStreetmap in the UK, which is free. You get GLONASS, which helps speed up the time to get a fix and gives better accuracy as the unit can usually see more satellites.

However, best of all is I get around 24h battery life on the 20. Can't remember exactly what I got on the H, but it was about 1 days walking. I leave the unit on all the time while walking, so I can download a trace of exactly where I have been. With the 20 I can easily get 2 days walking and usually 3 on one set of batteries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...