UKC

Ipad, Asus Transformer or Samsung Tab?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alj 16 Jan 2013
My laptop is on the way out, and I've been after a tablet for ages, so I thought I'd treat myself. I want something I can attach to a real keyboard if I need to use it for work etc. (hopefully not too often as I can usually use a work laptop or borrow my husbands). Otherwise it's just the usual surfing, photos, music, and also linking to our tv. Also have a 4 year old, who is likely to play - so needs to be robust!

Money is a factor, I'd rather pay less if possible.

I currently have an HTC phone, so I've never been an Apple girl - but happy to consider it.

So who recommends what? And any recommendations for accessories (covers, keyboard docks, HDMI adaptors anything else). Also any experiences of using a tablet for working / editing office docs etc.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
 Only a hill 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:
Worth looking at the new Windows transformer tablets, although they cost a bit more than the Android variants.
OP alj 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Is that the Asus one? That's one of the ones I'm considering. Do you have one? Oooh decisions decisions!
 Dax H 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alj: Dont know if it is still the case but before I could use my gen 1 ipad I had to connect it to my laptop to set it up with itunes.
 Nick Harvey 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alj: I have had a Transformer Prime for a year. Can't really fault it - massive battery, good keyboard, SD cards, full USB, etc, etc. Now there is the Transformer Infinity though of course.
 Only a hill 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:
I have a desktop Windows 8 PC and an Android tablet, so I like all platforms =) I think Android is more accessible (and has a broader range of apps) but Windows 8 has a more innovative user interface and the experience is pretty good.
OP alj 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Thanks. Do you use it for any officey type stuff - editing docs etc?

A
 Only a hill 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:
> (In reply to Nick Harvey)
>
> Thanks. Do you use it for any officey type stuff - editing docs etc?
>
> A

On the Android system, Google Drive is the best app for serious document editing.
OP alj 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Thanks really appreciate it - what Android tab have you got?
 The Lemming 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:

I've had my Asus Transformer Pad 300 since March and love it. I actually had the Prime for a week before it but returned the device when the screen broke. Design flaw.

First off, the Tablet is not as powerful as a Laptop but its close.

I now use my Tablet more and more and my laptop hardly ever. In fact I can:

attach or remove a keyboard
connect the Tablet to my TV to watch films and TV shows
Connect a USB hard drive
Connect full size SD cards
Connect micro SD cards

I also use my Tablet as a remote control for my desktop when I am watching a movie from the sofa. More versitile than a mouse. I can also use the Tablet as a keyboard and mouse when surfing the web on the TV from the sofa.

If you are going to invest in a tablet then either get an apple or an android that is as good it. Don't waste your money on second best because it will only leave a bad taste in your mouth from the whole experience.

Personally my Transfrmer Pad 300 is as good as and at times better than the most recent two generations of ipads.
 antdav 16 Jan 2013
Asusfor me any day. iPad is pretty poor for anything more than entertainment unless you pay for apple software. Samsung seems to be the android equivalent so cheaper unit, free apps but still an entertainment unit deep down. Asus give a good range to pick from and decent prices and reviews
 Only a hill 16 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
>
> Thanks really appreciate it - what Android tab have you got?

Google Nexus 7, an excellent all round smaller device although not a transformer (and no way to connect an external monitor, although it can use Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with no trouble, or anything via USB).
In reply to alj:
iPad. Every time.
 tk421 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
Nexus 10 seems more suitable for your needs than a 7. Think it has micro hdmi out for tv connectivity. If you're not travelling the 10inch form factor I think works better. (Owner of Nexus 7, iPhone and a user of iPad 1).
OP alj 17 Jan 2013
In reply to all:

Thanks - I think I'm leaning towards an Asus Transformer TF300. I'd love to go for the Infinity or the Prime, but just too expensive I think.
Flat4matt 17 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:

Ipad is way too expensive and are massivley restricted,, ie no external memory, itunes etc.

I've got the tab2 10.1 and for me its fantstic. Does everything I need, it the 16gb wifi model. Its intended use is mainly entertainment but do occasionally use it for word processing.
Also its got expandable memory and have heard it will unoficially take a 64gb microusb. I've got 32gb in mine and is about enough as I put lots of films and have a lot of photos etc. Plus when it comes to putting videos on, its simple copy and paste job with no need to piss about converting to mp4 or whatever apple make you do.

Cant comment on asus but have heard good reports.

Overall very happy customer and only cost 300, but then I got 80quid cashback so 220 all in. They're even cheaper now.
 jonfun21 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Got the wife a Tab2 10.1. for Christmaa, same model. £188 in total (via £50 cashback) which compared to a ipad is very good value especially with flexible memory upgrade.

You have to mess about a bit to get some things to work (installing flash so you could watch High Def iplayer in the browser was a bit of a fiddle). Some of the apps are not as good for android (e.g. BBC iplayer hence the work around, skype etc)

The Google Play store is not as good as iTunes for content but is improving due to update of android devices.
 Nick Harvey 17 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:
A little but not a great deal – still wheel out the laptop if i am doing a lot.

Google Drive is okay – the tablet spreadsheet thing is dire though. Polaris is okay but haven’t really got to grips with it yet.

(it is much better at media consumption than creation, I will admit that much).
 steve taylor 17 Jan 2013
In reply to jonf

I've got the Samsung Tab 2 10.1" too on the cashback deal. Tried to get one for my wife recently and now they are £280 with no cashback - looks like that was some sort of time-limited offer.

Shame - at £188 it was a no-brainer as it does everything I want it to. It's now not much cheaper than the iPad 2.
 The Lemming 17 Jan 2013
In reply to alj:
> (In reply to all)
>
> Thanks - I think I'm leaning towards an Asus Transformer TF300. I'd love to go for the Infinity or the Prime, but just too expensive I think.

A wise purchase, if I may say so especially as the prices have dropped so much from when I got mine which was the moment they hit the shops.

You most definitely will not be disappointed with this bit of kit because you have a netbook and tablet all in one. Your ASUS pad has a potential storage of what ever you are willing to pay for. Personally I have a 32Gb micro SD card to supplement my internal 32Gb hard drive. I can then add what ever SD card I want and what ever external USB hard drive I want.

What ipad can compete with that fact alone?

I've been reading about the Google Nexus 10 today and the down side for me is the fact that it DOES NOT come with a removable keyboard.

If you are worried about the resolution, then don't. I have never once worried about pixel peeping because my Mark One eyeball does not notice anything out of the ordinary.

Its a personal choice but if you are going to get a tablet, either get an ipad or something that is its equal or better otherwise you will waste your money wishing you bought an ipad.
OP alj 22 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Well currently typing on my new asus transformer. So what apps do I need to get now? Thanks for all the advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...