UKC

Petrol heads - Decision Advice Needed Please re Jaguar Purchase

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Which would you get out of these two, and why:

Jag X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport 4WD Auto 2002 77,000 miles for £2,500

Or

Jag X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport 4WD Manual 2005 99,000 miles for £3,500

Both have full main dealer Jaguar service history.

Thanks in advance!

(Advice to buy something else will be ignored, and a raspberry blown in your general direction!)
 koolkat 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater: my choice would be the 2005 but depends on your yearly milage , i have a 2.5 L petrol with 105,000 on the clock picked it up with 55,000 miles on it had a few sensor issues which was expensive but sorted and runs great and looks good too ,
the older the car the more brittle the rubber seals and hoses etc get which is why i would go for the 2005 but if you are a high milage driver i would go for the 2002 .
mine is auto as well i guess it uses more fuel than a manual ?
are you fixed on a 3L
 TMM 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I assume you've Googled and read the following.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59081

All depends on whether you want to waft or drive.

Personally I think Jag saloons should have an auto for a relaxing, cossetting waft experience.

Boogs 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I'd probably go for the Auto mostly because my left knee is screwed & gets worse when operating a clutch pedal constantly . probably doesn't apply to you though .
In reply to boogie man:

No, my right knee is f*cked.
In reply to koolkat:
> (In reply to Dispater) > are you fixed on a 3L

Looking at the figures, the 2.5 has only slightly better mpg, but is a lot slower.

In reply to TMM:

Cheers. Seems a 3.0 V6 deserves an auto for the full experience.

Would be cool, as I have never driven an automatic in my like.
 Toby S 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

My Uncle has the Manual from 2005, lovely car to drive. I used to drive a few relatives around the North West coast and it was a joy - although my 3 series Beemer handles better The auto will likely be a bit more thirsty but I think I'd struggle to choose between the two!

Boogs 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:
> (In reply to boogie man)
>
> No, my right knee is f*cked.

I was going to suggest a left hand drive Auto but that wouldn't quite work out would ? or would it ? <scratches head gormlessly> 80)

Go on go for the Auto they are lovely when you get used to them ! Which wont take long .
 Steve John B 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man: My old man had a Daimler V12 3 speed auto when I was a teenager in the 80's (I think it might have been Sturmey Archer), the kickdown was awesome as long as you didn't mind waiting a bit...
 jkarran 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I'd personally be leaning toward the cheaper auto. Firstly because it's cheaper. Secondly because unless you drive it like you stole it* auto is just so much nicer.

*if that is how you drive then I'd suggest a different car

jk
 Skyfall 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I have a 3l BMW and also went for an auto for the 1st time and never regretted it. Much nicer to drive a large engined car, particularly if you do a lot of start/stop driving eg. commuting. Horses for courses a bit though - wouldn't necessarily get one next time around, depends on the car.
 thin bob 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:
Normally, i'd go for the newer car.. but the auto jags just seem to go well with the style of driving. Loved the ones I drove for a month or so.

Unless you're doing a bank-job, in which case , get a mark 2 manual, some flared trousers, donkey jacket and The Sweeny boxset on dvd
In reply to Dispater:

Cheers guys! I'm pretty much settled on the older auto.
Will offer £1800 in cash and see how we get on.

Thanks all.
 Timmd 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

If you're the sort who worries about this kind of thing, I understand you can't bump start automatics.
In reply to Timmd:

I'm the sort of person that carries a spare battery, just in case.

I am buying a Jaguar, after all.
 balmybaldwin 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

youtube.com/watch?v=WmkegCs1VYE&

I love my X-type (a 2.2d)
In reply to Dispater:
I have a Jaguar and I love them. Unfortunately I only know how to drive them. Best ask a mechanic but they are great cars. Good luck and I hope it works out.
 Jus 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

what MPG does it do?!
In reply to Jus:

Dunno, but it's bloody lovely and fast.

Just drove home in the Auto. Knocked them down to £2100.

Boogs 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

Sounds like a good deal to me , happy motoring .
In reply to boogie man:

Cheers Dude. I've already spent two minutes stood outside Tesco looking for a maroon Mondeo estate, and hit a kerb doing a 3 point turn in a cul-de-sac (bit snowy here ATM).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...