UKC

Teaching Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sdawson1 17 Jan 2013
Hi, I have been SPA since 2007 and have had a passion and climbed since at youth club aged 11 (1978). Have witnessed and seen lots of different styles and techniques in dealing with youngsters and elders when I was learning the ropes (pun intended). I have also witnessed younger 'Coaching SPA holders teach'. What do people think is the real 'Best methodology' to teach / coach / invigorate / learn / disciple both young/older new/experienced people into a life of Climbing ? Really interested. For me it is definitely capturing the imagination.....but how do you stimulate that and use it positively ? Cheers Si
In reply to sdawson1: At the risk of being vague and unhelpful; it depends on the person you are teaching as people learn in different ways and it is the Coach who needs to be adaptable to the needs of the client.
woody5 22 Jan 2013
In reply to sdawson1: As someone who has been teaching and climbing for nearly 50 years I would totally agree with earlier comment,no two people learn the same way ,a good instructor uses a wide range of teaching methods ,much can also depend on the learning environment,
 Luke90 22 Jan 2013
In reply to sdawson1:
Certainly agree with what others have said about it depending upon the student but it also depends on the instructor. A style that works well for one instructor could fail completely for another because it just doesn't suit them.
Josh Maye 23 Jan 2013
In reply to sdawson1: Be outgoing, communication is key and an instructors ability to relate to a group. Ive always found that showing a willing to physically demonstrate things first whilst explaining what you're doing. Remember its a physical sport, talking crap and not showing what you're doing is pointless!! But that's just me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...