UKC

laptop/ tablet for computer illiterate granny?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 18 Jan 2013
She wants it for email, browsing and letter writing, so easy printing needed. She can't/ won't use a mobile phone, so I'm not sure it will be possible...
 The Lemming 18 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:

My mom, who hates computers with their keyboards and complex mice, loves her ipad.

I think its the simplicity of a device which can be controlled with a finger rather than hand/eye coordination of a mouse cursor. Not everybody has that skill.

Never printed from a tablet though.
 Little Brew 18 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander: If you get the right air-printer set up on Apple, printing from an iPad is a brease. My techno-no-no mother who still treats her PC as a typewriter LOVES my dads iPad, when he lets her near it, and she can use his iPhone better than her simple Samsung that has no camera or touch-screen.
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to iksander)
>
> My mom, who hates computers with their keyboards and complex mice, loves her ipad.
>
> I think its the simplicity of a device which can be controlled with a finger rather than hand/eye coordination of a mouse cursor. Not everybody has that skill.
>
> Never printed from a tablet though.

There are plenty of cloud printing applications which rely on a computer or IP networked printer. Not sure about tablet to printer direct but it must be possible.

My view on the OP is that tablets are brilliant for email, web browsing or consuming media but you would need a blue tooth key board for serious letter writing if you have sausage fingers like me!
 1step2far 18 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander: Not sure how easy to print from as never tried, but my mum loves her ipad. She's got parkinsons so cant use a normal keyboard its also great that she can enlarge the screen if the print is small.

Good luck in your quest!
 Fredt 18 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:

If you have a wifi connection for your broadband, and a wifi enabled printer, then printing from an ipad is a doddle.
OP iksander 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Fredt: Thanks all. WOuld an iPad 2 suffice, or is there something extra granny friendly about the new iPad?
In reply to iksander:

My 80-yr old mum decided to buy an iPad2 just over a year ago. She's able to use it to do things like Facebook, email, browsing, watching demand TV, and some apps. I have an iPad to provide technical support, though it drives me nuts because it's so restrictive compared to a real computer that I have years of experience using.

She seems to get on with hers okay without getting as frustrated as I do, because she has no expectations of what it should be able to do. She still struggles with more esoteric operation, but then, so do I...
 Chris the Tall 18 Jan 2013
In reply to iksander:
> (In reply to Fredt) Thanks all. WOuld an iPad 2 suffice, or is there something extra granny friendly about the new iPad?

Another vote for the iPad, and yes the iPad 2 would suffice, and you may as well go for the smallest amount of disk as well. The big difference with the iPad 3 is the screen resolution, but my guess is that your Granny wouldn't notice it! Both my parents (69 and 75) now use them, but they were both PC users. As does my mother-in-law, aged 87 and never used a PC. Just allocate a few hours to get her started, and then expect regular support phone calls !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...